2014 Cherokee Latitude

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default 2014 Cherokee Latitude

Picked up a new one last Friday afternoon and have a couple of questions. Has 17" all season tires and the door sticker specifies 33# of air pressure all around. Checked pressures and there is 38#. Is there a reason the service guys put in 38 vs recommended 33?

The swing up floor cover in the cargo compartment has two flaps that lift up to reveal shallow indentations. Doesn't seem to be any readily apparent purpose for them as the indentations are too shallow for anything but maybe a sheet of paper. Any idea what their purpose is?

So far I'll admit to being impressed with the Cherokee.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I'm just going to warn you, the new Cherokee isn't really liked on here.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by EagleXJ
I'm just going to warn you, the new Cherokee isn't really liked on here.
Got my curiosity up Eagle. Any reasons for the dislike?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

The service guys most likely didn't touch the air pressure which makes you wonder what else they ignored on the pre delivery inspection.

I worked in dealerships for about a decade, cars (all of them) are shipped with over inflated tires to prevent flat spotting during transport from the factory to the dealer.

The service guys are supposed to lower the pressure back to factory specs before the car is picked up by its new owner.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:48 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by black label
The service guys most likely didn't touch the air pressure which makes you wonder what else they ignored on the pre delivery inspection.

I worked in dealerships for about a decade, cars (all of them) are shipped with over inflated tires to prevent flat spotting during transport from the factory to the dealer.

The service guys are supposed to lower the pressure back to factory specs before the car is picked up by its new owner.
True story. Use the door sticker as a guide.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM

I had a gut feeling that's what it was but thought maybe experience had shown an extra 5 pounds to be beneficial for wear and ride. I'll put it back to the recommended 33#.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Dynarider
One big reason is that jeep has put the name of a great 4x4 on a streamlined crossover. Use the search up ^^^ there and look up "2014 Cherokee" and you'll have more reasons than you'll want.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:08 PM

My son just figured out the flaps in the cargo floor. When you fold down the back seats the flaps will fold over to cover the gap between the cargo floor and the back of the seat. Also covers the anchor points in the backs of the seats.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

I had a gut feeling that's what it was but thought maybe experience had shown an extra 5 pounds to be beneficial for wear and ride. I'll put it back to the recommended 33#.
You might get a slight mpg improvement but it would be at the sacrifice of ride comfort an safety. You can also decrease your contact patch with overinflated tires and cause uneven wear.

Also remember to check the tire pressure when the tires are cold. They could have been at 33psi but after 30-60 minutes of driving would go up to 38 from friction/increased heat.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 PM

One big reason is that jeep has put the name of a great 4x4 on a streamlined crossover. Use the search up ^^^ there and look up "2014 Cherokee" and you'll have more reasons than you'll want.
I can understand the animosity generated by a new look. I've owned two Toyota Land Cruisers and didn't like the new Cruiser when Toyota decided to make it a family grocery getter. I guess over time though manufacturers have to bow to a changing market preference.

In this case I got rid of a 2011 Nissan 370Z to get the Cherokee. I'm getting older and the Z, while a total blast to drive, was causing me a bit of discomfort. I got a good deal on the Jeep and it fits my needs very well. I'm not going to go rock climbing or 4 wheeling but needed a rig that was not afraid to go down a dirt road to find a spot for some target shooting and at the same time was comfortable to ride in and drive. Heck I may even get me a metal detector now to cruise the back roads looking for buried treasure. For adrenaline rushes I'll fire up my Harley and hit the twisties.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:28 PM

You might get a slight mpg improvement but it would be at the sacrifice of ride comfort an safety. You can also decrease your contact patch with overinflated tires and cause uneven wear.

Also remember to check the tire pressure when the tires are cold. They could have been at 33psi but after 30-60 minutes of driving would go up to 38 from friction/increased heat.
Thanks black label. The car is in an unheated garage and I always check tire pressure in the morning or before going out. Riding a motorcycle has made me a stickler for maintaining correct tire pressures.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:28 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

...and don't forget the fact that the majority of this forum (other vehicles section is the exception) covers only XJ, WJ, ZJ, MJ, and WK. Reason for dislike is the fact that the KL is not really a Jeep, but a Fiat with a Jeep nameplate on it.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by roninofako
...and don't forget the fact that the majority of this forum (other vehicles section is the exception) covers only XJ, WJ, ZJ, MJ, and WK. Reason for dislike is the fact that the KL is not really a Jeep, but a Fiat with a Jeep nameplate on it.
people need to realize this website is called CHEROKEE forum. not XJ forum, not WJ forum, not anything else. people looking for info on a CHEROKEE will make their way over here. probably best for the mods to start a new subforum for the KL cherokee.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:37 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
people need to realize this website is called CHEROKEE forum. not XJ forum, not WJ forum, not anything else. people looking for info on a CHEROKEE will make their way over here. probably best for the mods to start a new subforum for the KL cherokee.
I agree totally. The YJ got a bunch of **** back in the day. They said it was gonna destroy the Jeep tradition.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Nah **** that, the only new cherokee ill respect is the trailhawk. The rest are just clones of new crossovers. FwD. Wtf is that. Least the trailhawk comes with a decent stance. Id get one of those and delete half the electronics like blind side, lane departure, and crash detection.

Edit: and i wanna say, i have nothing against ppl that wanna buy them. Ill give anyone help with cars. I can't stand how most new cars allow ppl to feel too safe and think they're invincible. Give me a good used car from the turn of the millennium and im good

Last edited by sycoglitch; 12-15-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cherokee Latitude