Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Doorless speaker solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Just That Awesome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Doorless speaker solution

If you are like me, you love going doorless, but miss you're music and need a good way to mount up the speakers. Below is a link to the thread this post is from, presenting my solution to this very problem. I was not happy with the kick panel solutions, and did not want a soundbar or easily visible speakers so some guy could steal them while i'm in walmart.

This writeup used two 6 1/2 inch, round Kicker speakers. These are not by any means tiny, thin, or small. In fact they look like mini subwoofers so if i can cram these in, you can too!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/ki...ication-82233/

The solution:

After a few hours in the garage I can tell you there is zero good way to put them in the kick panel location, regardless of marine quality or not. For starters you are loosing some leg room, albeit not much. Secondly you are exposing them to the elements. And last but not least, you are exposing them to easy theft.

That said, mounting them in a soundbar or somewhere visible exposes them to theft as well, right? So nukin whats the answer?

The answer is the kick panel area, but in a different way. On the passenger side you need to remove the kick panel cover. Now take all that wiring harness, and tuck it up into the dash (it can be done). Take you're speaker, and wire it up with the wires coming down from where the harness is tucked. It's easy to do, takes a few seconds. Now you're speaker is working, the wires are all tucked up into the dash. Grab four zip ties, not the cheap skinny ones use the good thick ones people.

Push the speaker, magnet first of course, up into the cavity between the bottom of the dash and the blower motor. This should now have the speaker up high out of view, exposure, etc and pointing at a downward angle towards the passenger floor and center console. There are about 10 different mount points for the zip ties, i chose to use the thick wiring harness, the blow motor, and two small holes i drilled in the bottom of the dash plastic. Go ahead and replace the kick panel cover when you are done. Mine fit back on with no cutting, but it's tight.

The end result is a speaker that sounds great that can't be kicked, seen, or gotten wet in normal road and off road conditions. The quality zip ties secure it like it is screwed into steel and it when done right it will not bounce, vibrate, jiggle or anything else.

As for the driver it is pretty much the exact same thing. When you take off the kick panel there is a computer you need to relocate under the dash, and a bracket above the hood release with a bunch of plugs mounted to it. I choose to remove the bracket and tuck this all up under the dash as well. It takes a bit of time and finesse, but it can be done. You then tuck the speaker up above the brake pedal in the kick panel area and secure it. When done right there is no way you're left foot can ever touch it, and it is out of sight and exposure just like the passenger side.

The weather is total crap, so i will get pictures next week or sooner if it clears up.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just stuck the sound bar in mine... found some clearance $15 speakers that are shiney red and called it good... also mine was a chopped top so I moves it over the front seats... plenty loud there... lol
Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Just That Awesome

I'm not against the soundbar, I just don't want one because people are more tempted to steal what they can see. It's not the value of my equipment, it's the annoyance of replacing and reparing crap when it's stolen and not having speakers in the mean time.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

U musts live in Detroit? Lol... all my vehicles are parked with keys in the ignition and full of sterio... not in Atl or Macon though... lol
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Just That Awesome

Where I live isn't a bad area at all, i leave the jeep out with the doors off at night in the summer. But it's not about where i live, it's about where i may drive too or even who my neighbors may have visiting
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me too. I plan to make my 2 door doorless very soon and wasn't sure what to do either. I live in a nice are, but as you said it depends on where you may drive to that could be an issue. I still worry about somebody getting into the truck and taking my stereo, spares parts, and tools I keep in the back. I will just hope for the best and keep the hatch closed to slow them down. I do plan to make some type of locking box with drawers for the back once I figure what I want to do about my spare tire that takes up half of the trunk.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Just That Awesome

Walmart sells a big hard plastic box for about $11 that will fit in the back with the spare and leave a good amount of room. That is what i did, and it has a padlock on it. Sure they could cut the padlock or the box, but it's better than nothing. You can see a picture of it in my Gallery.

The truth is locks only keep honest people honest, so you can only protect so much. They can steal a stereo just as fast with the doors on or off.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Just That Awesome

Well this method is water approved for sure. It cleared up some here today right before I went to class so i took the jeep. It was sunny on campus so i parked on the top floor (open), no worries.

Well during class it turned to a freezing rain/hail mess. The jeep was soaked, and driving home i went down a few pretty flooded roads. The floors are herculiner and despite the drain holes, there was quite a buildup of water sloshing around.

Speakers are 100% dry.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

i live 10 miles from Detroit, I couldn't imagine doing this lol
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Just That Awesome

I wouldn't go near Detroit without doors, they steal doors for %$# sake LOL. Even with my gun mounts all over the jeep i wouldn't expect them to leave it alone.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have a rear sound bar from a 94 right behind the front seats. It works nice.
I know it doe's not look pretty but who cares.
Attached Thumbnails Doorless speaker solution-picture-161.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Sing, it's easier.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Just That Awesome