Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Just That Awesome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Kick Panel Speaker: Fabrication

Anyone made their own kick panel mounts like the Q-Logic? They are WAY over priced, and the tweeters up front really suck. I even upgraded them and they are still terrible. I need to mount up two of my kickers because while i love having the doors off, i miss my music.

Don't want a sound bar, and don't want to modify my dash to get them in where the tweeters were.

They would sound terrible in the center console or under the seats.

The best point for sound projection is to tuck them into the kick panels, but up off the floor so i need to do some custom work. Just wondering if anyone else has so i can see what you did.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Just That Awesome

nobody?

I'll figure it out
Old 03-20-2011, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

picture of what you mean?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Just That Awesome

Just like the Q-Logic kick panel speaker mounts
Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

I would mount them on the front kick panel let shown here...
Old 03-20-2011, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Don't they get wet, muddy, or pounded down on the kick panel by passenger either crazed with fear or covered in goo from hookin up to pull out that yota blockin the trail. (Was gona drive over the yota but that's what scared the passenger.) Really though don't the speak and tweet get beat up down there?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Just That Awesome

I'm going to raise them up a bit in my design, but they are marine grade anyway.

@Rooster: yes those are q logic, i was asking if anyone has MADE them. I know how and where i want them, i just want to see what others have built.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

I understand when you want to run without the doors. The marine cones are a good idea. If they could be raised and still fit to your satisfaction that could keep em outa harms way and clear of snow/mud. I'd never seen that panel application till this thread.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Just That Awesome

I should have mine done by the end of the week. May even make it out of Kydex.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Just That Awesome

After a few hours in the garage I can tell you there is zero good way to put them in the kick panel location, regardless of marine quality or not. For starters you are loosing some leg room, albeit not much. Secondly you are exposing them to the elements. And last but not least, you are exposing them to easy theft.

That said, mounting them in a soundbar or somewhere visible exposes them to theft as well, right? So nukin whats the answer?

The answer is the kick panel area, but in a different way. On the passenger side you need to remove the kick panel cover. Now take all that wiring harness, and tuck it up into the dash (it can be done). Take you're speaker, and wire it up with the wires coming down from where the harness is tucked. It's easy to do, takes a few seconds. Now you're speaker is working, the wires are all tucked up into the dash. Grab four zip ties, not the cheap skinny ones use the good thick ones people.

Push the speaker, magnet first of course, up into the cavity between the bottom of the dash and the blower motor. This should now have the speaker up high out of view, exposure, etc and pointing at a downward angle towards the passenger floor and center console. There are about 10 different mount points for the zip ties, i chose to use the thick wiring harness, the blow motor, and two small holes i drilled in the bottom of the dash plastic.

The end result is a speaker that sounds great that can't be kicked, seen, or gotten wet in normal road and off road conditions. The quality zip ties secure it like it is screwed into steel and it when done right it will not bounce, vibrate, jiggle or anything else.

As for the driver it is pretty much the exact same thing. When you take off the kick panel there is a computer you need to relocate under the dash, and a bracket above the hood release with a bunch of plugs mounted to it. I choose to remove the bracket and tuck this all up under the dash as well. It takes a bit of time and finesse, but it can be done. You then tuck the speaker up above the brake pedal in the kick panel area and secure it. When done right there is no way you're left foot can ever touch it, and it is out of sight and exposure just like the passenger side.

The weather is total crap, so i will get pictures next week or sooner if it clears up.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I've owned several cars and I just put new front door speakers in my cherokee. I really don't know if there is enough room there for an ideal installation. The XJ has to be one of the smallest foot space vehicles I've ever owned. I would imagine they would get beat up from daily driving and what not. But to each their own.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Just That Awesome

Originally Posted by robdiddy
I've owned several cars and I just put new front door speakers in my cherokee. I really don't know if there is enough room there for an ideal installation. The XJ has to be one of the smallest foot space vehicles I've ever owned. I would imagine they would get beat up from daily driving and what not. But to each their own.
I have a ZJ, but I can tell you the XJ should have plenty of room (if not the exact same amount) if you follow these steps i provided. Most of the area the speakers are going into is occupied by wiring, which is easily tucked away.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Year: 1991

im gonna put a door there so i can unhook my harness to take doors off.dont need all that stereo stuff,
Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Just That Awesome

Originally Posted by kris
im gonna put a door there so i can unhook my harness to take doors off.dont need all that stereo stuff,
That part is simple, just grab four 15pin harness and solder them in. When the doors are on my entire ZJ is stock, you just unplug the wire harness for each door and lift them off.

This solution soley address's having music when the doors are gone.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM

Year: 1991

Where do I find them

Quick Reply: Kick Panel Speaker: Fabrication