Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

here is a brain buster

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default here is a brain buster

ok gentlemen, so no s@*t there i was at orielys clutch working fine on the way in and i go in get some stof come out and its gone! clutch is compleetly not engaging at all. so i call a tow truck pay the man and we are on our merry way.
i checked the slave and master cylinders no signs of leeking and the master looked newish (new rust) and the fluids were at the top. well i didnt feel like pulling the trans to take a deeper look just then so i let it sit 3 days came back and for the heck of it thought id see if the clutch ferry came by and she did!!!
no **** i pushed it in and it worked and has continued to work.

my question is: has any one ever hurd of this happening? and is it possible for the clutch to bleed itself through gravity?

any ideas....... btw this is not on a jeep, its a 87 gmc 1 ton..... i figured just about all clutched are the same ya know.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 PM

oh well..... have you ever heard of any thing like this
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 PM

No I have an aw4.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Do you mean the clutch would not dis-engage? If thats the case the fluid gets hot and boils causing air bubbles. After a period of time cooling off the bubbles disipate, like magic the clutch (happens to brake systems as well, the fluid can also expand locking up the brakes) functions, until the fluid gets hot again.

ETA: Keep lines well away from the exhaust.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:53 PM

im thinking engage because i could push it to the floor and it wouldnt allow me to shift in to any gear. now what you said sounds about right to me. when it happend it was still hard like a good clutch but not all there, had more play than usual. got any ideas on how to fix the fluid getting hot? maybe a heaver fluid like dot 4? also im sure that if the case is what you are describing to me is my issue it would hep at all if the truck was over heating at the time huh?

thank you for the heads up on the other forums within the forum, had no idea about it.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Do you mean the clutch would not dis-engage? If thats the case the fluid gets hot and boils causing air bubbles. After a period of time cooling off the bubbles disipate, like magic the clutch (happens to brake systems as well, the fluid can also expand locking up the brakes) functions, until the fluid gets hot again.

ETA: Keep lines well away from the exhaust.
Correction sir..........brake fluid can indeed boil if it gets hot enough. Motor oil can expand when it gets hot but, brake fluid does NOT expand..........nor can it compress. If it did either, your brakes would be very unreliable and inconsistant even it the best of conditions.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanbsparks
its a 87 gmc 1 ton.
Then you probably have the SM465 "Bulldog" 4-speed? First gear's a crusher in that thing
Agreed with Turbo, probably a fluid problem. I'd flush and bleed the clutch system. Remove the slave cylinder and tilt it or you'll have trouble getting all the air out. If that doesn't do it and you are certain there are no leaks, you may have a seal problem.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L
Default ok

So this is my first post and, admittedly, I have no experience with the mentioned vehicle and little with the cherokee (yet). That being said, when the clutch was not responding how exactly did the pedal feel? Was it normal or did it go to the floor and not come back, or was lazy to return? I ask because this happened to me and it ended up being a seized pressure plate. I hope that its just a matter of needing a brake flush badly, but if the pedal felt perfect.. might have to tear the box out and have a look.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 PM

i defanitly do have the 465 and granny gear is a freakin worker. wellp the truck works just fine now and i really dont feel like reading any more of torez backlash, so thank you for the info on other forums not related to jeeps i will be sure to use em next time. enjoy.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Closed to clean up. Time outs will commence.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Thread re-opened and cleaned up.

My only warning for the rest. Keep on topic, drop the attitudes at the door or you will suffer the fate of torez.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

As to the OP, I've never heard of a hydraulic clutch "not completely engaging"......or spring clutch for that matter, unless the clutch material is just too worn out.
I have however, heard of not being able to disengage the clutch due to air in the lines, lack of fluid, old worn out fluid, leaking slave cylinder piston, etc... But, to just fix itself from sitting overnight.........can't say that I have.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Thread re-opened and cleaned up.

My only warning for the rest. Keep on topic, drop the attitudes at the door or you will suffer the fate of torez.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Hamster
As to the OP, I've never heard of a hydraulic clutch "not completely engaging"......or spring clutch for that matter, unless the clutch material is just too worn out.
I have however, heard of not being able to disengage the clutch due to air in the lines, lack of fluid, old worn out fluid, leaking slave cylinder piston, etc... But, to just fix itself from sitting overnight.........can't say that I have.
uless throw out bearing is wedging sideways on front nose of tranny where it slides it pretty much impossible it either works or it dont pretty simple
Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

im thinking engage because i could push it to the floor and it wouldnt allow me to shift in to any gear
I took the above to mean the clutch is not disengaging when the pedal is pressed and the OP merely got the terms reversed.
Perhaps the OP will clear this up?