Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ Rear fender trimming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99xj 97TJ 96XJ, 87 woody
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ZJ Rear fender trimming?

I have had trimmed many fenders on Xj's but never on a zj.
I picked up a ZJ trail rig and putting my old lift from my Tj on it.
RE 4.5" I will use Jeep Liberty Rear lower control arms.
I would like to run a 33 to 35 tire in the rear. (Goal with proper BS)
I wold like to see pictures of Jeep zj with trimmed rear fenders from mild to wild. Also shock relocation on axle.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowes
I have had trimmed many fenders on Xj's but never on a zj.
I picked up a ZJ trail rig and putting my old lift from my Tj on it.
RE 4.5" I will use Jeep Liberty Rear lower control arms.
I would like to run a 33 to 35 tire in the rear. (Goal with proper BS)
I wold like to see pictures of Jeep zj with trimmed rear fenders from mild to wild. Also shock relocation on axle.

its allot harder obviously I don't have any pics on hand & we have a ton of snow... but my short observations on 35's

Trim back the rear bumper as much as possible, as they will just tear it off. I had to trim the front part of the wheel opening at the rocker, just a 45deg angle cut. I also noticed now that on full compression it has hit the top of the wheel well in the rear, because it steps down & there is a metal lip that really needs to be hammered smooth.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99xj 97TJ 96XJ, 87 woody
Engine: 4.0L

I ended up cutting the front rocker flush with door line. Folding it flat with hammer. Took a cut off wheel and made relief cuts every 5" or so. and at curves. Left the pinch welds. Then beat the tabs flat. No rear bumper.
got the upper adjustable arms set with longer fixed liberty lowers.
Re welded now shock mounts, raised them up 3".
It has lots of drop out. The spring rate was almost perfect for running 33's no rubbing. If I hit a real hard bump I may come close to bottoming out shock. I need a 2" longer bump stop.
The Front on the other hand I thought would clear 3" lift spring with trimmed out fender. I wheeled it Sunday and the tire when turning rubs. I beat it flat with a 5lb hammer but still rubs.
I will need to install new control arms and give a try.
the Zj has big wheel openings, but the Xj has better inner front openings for turning 33's.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowes
I ended up cutting the front rocker flush with door line. Folding it flat with hammer. Took a cut off wheel and made relief cuts every 5" or so. and at curves. Left the pinch welds. Then beat the tabs flat. No rear bumper.
got the upper adjustable arms set with longer fixed liberty lowers.
Re welded now shock mounts, raised them up 3".
It has lots of drop out. The spring rate was almost perfect for running 33's no rubbing. If I hit a real hard bump I may come close to bottoming out shock. I need a 2" longer bump stop.
The Front on the other hand I thought would clear 3" lift spring with trimmed out fender. I wheeled it Sunday and the tire when turning rubs. I beat it flat with a 5lb hammer but still rubs.
I will need to install new control arms and give a try.
the Zj has big wheel openings, but the Xj has better inner front openings for turning 33's.

cool I did pretty much smash everything inside the front wheel wells & just ended up cutting out everything I could stand to get rid of & moved the canister as well.

Friend of mine moved the shocks like you said, then redid the upper mounts to angle the shocks a bit to make up for the relocation. I know having them angled makes them less effective but its give and take.