Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a 4WD Jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lowering a 4WD Jeep?

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a XJ/Comanche but I have different plans than most of you guys would probably have in mind. I want to lower the jeep, not ***** to the floor, but a decent amount so I can autocross and do a couple small time tracks days. I've done some research already and have seen that most of you guys recommend using the rwd variant, the only issue with this is there are literally none for sale anywhere near me. This got me wondering if it is indeed possible to lower a 4WD XJ/Comanche at all, or if I am better off just holding off and waiting for a 2WD one to pop up. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

No experience on lowering 4WD XJ's, but I know that people only buy the 2WD ones for racing because of the weight difference... 4WD XJ's weigh a substantial amount more then 2wd, and if you are indeed racing, i would just wait for a 2wd xj..

Check craigslist, there are tons, and if you find one, just act real disappointed that its 2wd and see if you can lower the price!
Old 12-30-2015, 12:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Make sure to do some lookin online, more than a few folks have done this with some success even. However 2wd really is the better option.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:12 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Henry Rozich
I've done some research already and have seen that most of you guys recommend using the rwd variant, the only issue with this is there are literally none for sale anywhere near me.
Keep looking. I see them all the time. You can use SearchTempest.com to search Craigslist in many cities simultaneously so that you don't miss one in a nearby area.

Alternately, a LOT of 2WD XJs end up in the junk yards. I see more junked 2WD XJs than 4WD. That might be why you're not seeing them for sale.

You would play hell getting a 4WD Jeep low enough for your purposes, because the position of the engine basically means you have to cut the front axle around the oil pan in a way that simply isn't possible with a drive axle. However, you could buy a 4WD anyway and then convert it to 2WD with junk yard parts. You would need the front axle with no pumpkin and a 2WD transmission. You could probably sell the rest of the 4WD parts you strip off for more than you pay for the JY 2WD parts.

Go look in your local Pick-n-Pull-type DIY yard to see what's there. Depending on where you are, you can get a pretty good start by searching on Row52.com or by searching inventories on the individual yards' websites.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Team Petty Cash is a good place to check out. They've had a lot of success with their XJ on road courses.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Well if you're willing to pay for shipping I have a 2wd XJ axle