Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lift issue

Hey all,

Please bare with me as I attempt to clearly explain my questions. Last year around this time I installed a budget boost which consisted of 2.5" RE full length AAL and teraflex 2" coil spacers on my 98 stock XJ (rear leafs were in great shape). The rear ended up lifting closer to 3.75-4.25 ish. It measures 34-3/4" to bottom of stock fender from the ground. Also the front is closer to 2.5" actual lift as it measures 34" to bottom of stock fender from the ground.

My issue is the jeep has a pretty visible rake to it where it sits lower in the front. I also still have some decent vibes. I installed a TC drop and that helped somewhat but still have some at higher speeds. Does the rake affect the driveline as well since the rear is higher than front? I want to first level the jeep and then possibly an SYE.

However when it was stock the jeep sat "level" but measured about 1/2" higher in front since stock height is 17" rear from center of wheel to bottom of fender and 17.5" front from center of wheel to bottom of fender. So if my math is correct with my new measurements It seems my jeep is about 1.25" or so to low in the front. Would my best option be to just remove the coil spacers and throw in some 3" coils springs? I want the front to be level or very slightly higher than the rear...

Sorry for the long post - if anyone has any questions to help with answering let me know.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The "Rake" has nothing to do with that problem all XJ's sat higher in the rear than the front when new. New quality lift kits usually do the same I don't mean a AAL setup and spacers. It may very well be your u-joints that are making the noise your speaking of. A 2 1/2-3" AAL will not lift the rear that high if installed properly or even close on old leafs. You need to recheck all the install to see what might be the problem.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I will look at the install and make sure shackle angle etc are all ok and take some pictures to try and post on here. I have however read and was told that the RE AAL kits do net people closer to 3-3.25" of lift and dont settle even after a couple of years. This is part of the reason I went with them.

I guess my main question is that the stock flare heights are 1/2" higher in front than the rear when measured on a stock XJ from center of wheel to bottom of fender, and right now my rear flare height is approx 20-3/4" from center of wheel to bottom of fender and 19-1/2" in the front. Which is a difference of 1-1/4" just to become level let alone gain back the 1/2" to make it comparable to the stock dimensions. So overall it seems to have a apples to apples comparison to stock with regard to flare heights from center of wheels I need to lift the front 1-3/4" in height. Does this make sense to anyone?