Wandering Problem - Jeep Cherokee Forum
Jeep Cherokee Forum

Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wandering Problem

Old 06-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #1  

View JRC3277's Photo Album My Photos
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Wandering Problem

New to the forum, here’s my first question lol! I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee, recently replaced front lower control arms and front ball joints & had an alignment done...now the Jeep is wandering around and steering “feels” loose...suggestions?
JRC3277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #2  

View DaveTDG's Photo Album My Photos

Just replaced all my suspension / driving components on my 1994. It had the wondering / loose steering before that and still has it. It still needs an alignment but I am more then sure that will not fix it. There is a 5/8 bolt with a hex bolt within it on the steering box of my year jeep that I am going to mess with. Maybe you have it as well. I hear it only takes like small adjustments to make it better.
DaveTDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #3  

View tom3holer's Photo Album My Photos
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

The adjustment on the steering box is not supposed to be used to correct play in the arm from the box. That said it does seem to help a bit. I have the same issue on my 1999 GC.
I did replace the rear control arms and the wishbone at the top and it made a big difference. It still wanders a bit and I need to look at the front end and see where is is coming from.
tom3holer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #4  

View DaveTDG's Photo Album My Photos

Just an update on mine. Nothing I have done has helped the excessive play in my steering... Will make my own post as not to hijack
DaveTDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 AM   #5  
CF Veteran

View dave1123's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That adjustment screw only adjusts the vertical end play of the pitman arm shaft. The gear teeth are actually ball bearings. When the ball races get worn oversize, the box should be replaced.

Check the track bar bushings and the wheel hub bearings. Of course, the steering linkage ball ends could also cause the problem.

Every once in a while, the steering column universal joints wear out.
dave1123 is online now   Reply With Quote