Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangerous Wandering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default Dangerous Wandering Problem

Hey guys, It's been awhile since I've legitimately logged onto here. I just got my next Cherokee and am having some strange problems with it. First off here are some of the specs: 4" rubicon Express lift, Old man emu shocks and SS, Adjustable track bar, Short arms and sway bar discos. It's also got 33's and 2 inch spacers. I've got two major problems with the jeep, the first being the most serious. When I'm driving the jeep and let off the gas at ANY point the jeep wants to dart to the right. I've also got to hold the wheel at an angle to keep it going strait. the tires aren't worn funny, it doesn't exhibit any other problems but it wanders like all hell. Ive checked the ball joints and all the joints in the steering and cant find any looseness in any of them, the axle appears pretty centered on the jeep and when I try to turn the wheel sitting still with it off the tires almost immediately respond. So I don't know if it could be caster or possibly the steering box? I've thought about taking out the electric fan and adjusting the worm gear on top of the steering box but I've also read that it could worsen the problem. The track bar doesn't appear to be loose but the only two things I could be think that could be causing this would be the steering box and caster on the LCA's. I have to DD this all winter so any ideas/help would be appreciated guys. I'd like to upload some pictures but the mobile app doesn't allow me to or post new threads? Maybe I can figure that out and get some pics up here shortly. Thanks in advance for any help, I REALLY need to get this figured out!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Alignment numbers?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Sounds like there isn't near enough caster. 5* should be minimum. The toe could be out of whack too.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
Alignment numbers?

I'm not sure of them yet, I currently need to get some money rolling in before I can even get it checked. I just spent all the extra cash I have on fixing the rear wheel bearings.

Originally Posted by jbsjunk
Sounds like there isn't near enough caster. 5* should be minimum. The toe could be out of whack too.

That's what I've been thinking but haven't found a way to determine what the actual alligment angles are. I can do an alignment in my drive way if its just toe but never messed with caster before. Any suggestions? or just take it somewhere and have it checked?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Best bet would get it on an alignment rack and get numbers. You can go from there.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jbsjunk
Best bet would get it on an alignment rack and get numbers. You can go from there.

Will do. As soon as I get some extra cash I'll get it checked and post on here. Just never had a problem this bad before from an alignment so that's why its throwing me off.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

It does sound like it could be alignment issue since it pulls to one side. If it wandered all over then I might say caster. Another thought might be the tires. If one had a broken belt or defect it could create a pulling situation. Also, have you checked your caliper for dragging?
Old 10-24-2014, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worn front bearing, tire pressure, dry u joint.

How did you check the ball joints? Checking the steering box, track bar, etc... should be done with the weight of the jeep on the tires.

And what the others have said.

Also check brakes for heat after a drive. Could have one sticking.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

^ Agree, sticking brake can cause the dart to right when letting off gas.
And caster/toe must be off.

A $5 angle finder can come very close at determining the caster, use this link for how-to. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
Some shops like Tread Quarters will give you an alignment printout for free. Tell them you do not want them to make an adjustment, just need a printout.

This is also handy, 'stringing a vehicle'.
http://www.circletrack.com/chassiste...ring_your_car/

Last edited by SteveMongr; 10-24-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by holycaveman
Worn front bearing, tire pressure, dry u joint.

How did you check the ball joints? Checking the steering box, track bar, etc... should be done with the weight of the jeep on the tires.

And what the others have said.

Also check brakes for heat after a drive. Could have one sticking.
I checked the ball joints with a pry bar and the wheel slightly off the ground. I had the wheels on the ground and had someone crawl underneath it when I rocked the wheel slightly back and forth. I haven't thought of brakes yet, the rears are pretty much not working due to everything being coated in mud and dirt, the front is glazed so I'll have to Check it after a drive. If I ever get money to put into the tank.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by pittman71
It does sound like it could be alignment issue since it pulls to one side. If it wandered all over then I might say caster. Another thought might be the tires. If one had a broken belt or defect it could create a pulling situation. Also, have you checked your caliper for dragging?
I've considered it to be the tires. They are slightly dry rotted and I've got a bad vibration at 55-60. I almost think it's driveline related but I'm not sure. I just miss having my old 5-speed. Drove like a Cadillac on 31's and 4 inches of lift.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Alright guys I just figured I'd post here and let everyone know what I've found, It turns out the caster is defiantly off and I took a closer look at the wheels, they only have wheel weights on the outside of the rims. I believe the combination of the two (plus my first decent distance trip) in the jeep has defiantly narrowed down my search. Thanks again for all the input guys!