Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transmission!! PLEASE HELP

Old 02-16-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission!! PLEASE HELP

PLEASE HELP!!
I am in Australia but I'm assuming all the jeeps do the same things. I have a 2012 grand Cherokee. 19days ago it broke down in my driveway and got put on a tow truck and taken to our local who deals with Jeeps. I was calling everyday to ask about car to be told, not sure what the problem is, we have put a tech case on it and waiting for Jeep to get back to us. It is coming up with multiply error codes! 7days later I walk in and ask about my jeep to be accused by workshop guy of driving it in low range and blowing transmission up! I nearly cried! I assured him at no stage was it in low range, there was no indication on dash or 4x4 light was not on to indicate any other gear, besides I don't think it would go very far or fast in low range. He told me $16,000 for new transmission plus other costs. I told him maybe 2days prior to it breaking down, at times it felt like going around corners on all flat tyres, but was happening intermittently. That was the only funny feeling. The afternoon it broke down, that morning it went in for 4 new tyres and I let the guy know that at times the steering felt funny. He was going to look. At end of day, I picked the car up and he had taken it for a test drive and said things felt fine but if it happens again, take it straight to workshop. It broke down that afternoon. The workshop have said they can't get any gears therefore transmission blown. I have since read manual and the car has neutral feature that disengages the front n rear drive shafts for flat towing. I have asked them to please check this and other things before they just accuse me of blowing transmission. They've assured me my car does not have neutral other than on gear lever! They know nothing about this car. The car is 30,000k out of warranty. They are asking for my permission to remove the pan for oil to see if it is the transmission. Over the last couple of days they have actually been saying it may not be transmission but If they take pan off, it will cost us $1000 to have the oil replaced as its a life time oil and it comes from the us. Please help with ideas😢😢😢
Old 02-16-2016, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You're in the wrong forum; this one is for regular Cherokees (XJ). You have a Grand Cherokee. These forums are platform specific.

Try posting HERE:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/
Old 02-16-2016, 08:57 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

here we are in the correct forum now. It's amazing!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Unfortunately this is a problem between you and the dealer and Chrysler. Your best bet is to file a complaint with Chrysler Customer Service and get involved directly. If it was flat towed, THEY could be the ones that blew the trans. This vehicle has Quadradrive II I'm assuming?