Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Grand Cherokee electrical- no turn sigs/no wipers/no blower

Old 02-28-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Grand Cherokee electrical- no turn sigs/no wipers/no blower

The turns signals, wipers, heater blower and radio have all quit on my 2000 Grand Cherokee. Engine starts fine, but it does sound like the heater blower is running at slow speed even though the speed control has no effect.

It had been running fine except for the last two weeks, about every 30 minutes, the chime would ring three times and then three times again. Console lights do not indicate any problem or the overhead display. A code reader shows no error codes. All fluid levels are fine except washer fluid is almost out. All fuses appear fine.

What could the problem be gents???

Thank you!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

IDK what your problem is, but I suspect the Body Control Module may have something to do with it. The triple-double chime is a warning that something has been detected by the BCM as not being right. The cause is usually displayed in the overhead console.

Just as an example, I had a warning pop up that said "Auto Seat Adjust Disabled, Seat belt Is Engaged." I don't have auto seats or even power seats and the seat belt wasn't engaged then. I found one of the ABS fuses had blown. I replaced the fuse and never got that warning again nor had it blow again. Go figure!

The only other thing I can think of is all those systems are active only with power on from the ignition or accessory circuit. Check your ignition switch for accessory power. Also check the ground connections under the dash.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thank you for your advice. I will check those things.

I also thought it could be a bad battery. So I changed it out, but that made no difference.

I also forgot to mention that the odometer display is blank. But when I turn on the headlights, then the console lights come on. Headlights seem to be the only electrical devices that are working.

It is also odd that when the key is one step before starting position, it seems everything is working. As soon as the motor is started, then all the electrical quits.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:34 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It's possible the ignition switch is bad. That position just before the starter engages is the "run" position, so if everything works before it starts, it's not making contact when it returns after starting.