Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

RE; intermitant left turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default RE; intermitant left turn signal

I tried to find my original post, but couldn't easily, so I'll post my fix here.

I had a left turn signal that refused to work consistantly, but would work if you turned on the hazard flashers first, then turned on the signal before you turned off the hazards. It seemed to be temperature related because it would work fine as long as the cabin was at least 60*. Two days ago, it quit permanently. I had already replaced the multi-function switch.

Searching thru my FSM, I found out the multi-function flasher in the WJs is a 9 pin unit with 3 logic circuits in it, one for left turn, one for right turn, and one for hazards. I decided to change it. After removing the panels to access it, it's hidden underneath a cast aluminum brace for the steering column and is near impossible to get your hand on. I got it out with slip-joint pliers, but it took me almost 2 hours to get the new one in! My hand covered the sight of what I was doing and after getting the pins started, I would remove my hand to push it in and it would fall out! Not one to give up, I sweared a blue streak and persevered. After getting it put together again and it working, I took a nap! 2 hours later, I put the panels back on. My body is telling me I wasn't supposed to get so contorted while working, laying on my back on the rocker panel.

The whole point of this is to prepare another WJ owner for the same ordeal.

Last edited by dave1123; 02-01-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Something strange happened to me this morning...i have a 45 mile drive to work...44 of that is highway...but when i put my left turn signal on to pull into my workplace my interior lights all went on...i turned the signal off and they went off...didnt happen on the drive home...I've only owned this GC for about 6 weeks but thats the only time that happened...and hopefully the LAST!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, do you know about the dash light dimmer switch on the headlight/turn signal switch? It's a ring just behind the headlight twist **** and has a bump to turn it with. The top 2 clicks of this switch brightens the Odometer light, the VIOC display, and the clock; the top one turns on the interior lights any time you want them. I would suggest the switch was bumped by your pressing on the turn signal OR there's an internal short in it.

This ring has positions that from the top, turns on the interior lights, next click down brightens the displays for daytime driving with the headlights on, third is a series of steps for the brightness of the gauge lights, and the bottom one cancels the interior lights when you open the door. That last one is great for stopping by the side of the road at night to take a leak!

Check out this switch and see if it's the problem.

Also, check out wjjeeps.com for lots of info on your jeep.