Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fixed one issue, new one arises RENIX 1988 Cherokee chief

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fixed one issue, new one arises RENIX 1988 Cherokee chief

Howdy y'all,

Last I posted I was having an idle issue which was reaovled after replacing the fuel pump. Idles smooth, starts right up. But here lately I've noticed a problem slowly getting worse and worse as I've been driving it more frequently. When accelerating, if I do not very easily accelerate I get a loss of power and it will sputter and backfire. Full throttle from a stop will do the same. It will do this all the way until I'm close to 2500 rpms. Where this all quits and has full power that it should have. I'm getting oil shot from through the throttle body into the air of. CCV fix has been done. Also parts replaced include as said fuel pump and new filter, new spark plugs, new egr valve, new MAP sensor with a fixed vacuum line to TB, new IAC, new tps which has been properly adjusted with a meter, new distributor cap, many vacuum lines fixed and/or replaced, grounds have been refreshed, every electronic connection I could find cleaned and greased, TB has been cleaned correctly, O2 sensor has been replaced (the one right after collector) and the crankshaft sensor has also been replaced. My current research has me looking at a couple different options, but looking for some input. I read about the camshaft sensor, because a broken piece of plastic was found in the distributor when the cap was replaced, but I hear when those go out its like the crankshaft sensor and the jeep won't start. Also read maybe it is a faulty option coil, but I don't have as much info on whether that's the real issue or not. Also might need to replace the entire distributor? The motor was rebuilt 90,000 miles ago, and it looked like that when I replaced the valve cover gasket because the top end looked brand new, no slug or build up anywhere. So I don't think the timing chain is stretched yet. Any ideas on where I should take this next? I figured the more informative the post, the easier it would be to help diag and come up with a solution, so thanks for taking the time to read this!

Thanks,

Riley
Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 AM

Could this also be caused by a catalytic converter?
Old 01-16-2016, 01:25 PM

Or another idea that I just came across could be a coolest temp sensor?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:28 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

It sounds like you could have a wet or funky distributor and or even a bad plug or a lose or bad spark plug wire id start there !
Old 01-16-2016, 02:43 PM

All wires double checked, I looked inside the cap and it looked like a thin line of some wet residue the went halfway around the cap. The plugs have about 1000 miles on them, you think they'd already be bad?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Never apply any type of grease to electrical connections, it's a sure way to cause problems. Clean with this and reassemble.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:03 PM

Was driving to the parts store when it died on me. Would start but would immediately die. Had brother pull me into a parking lot and bypassed the fuel ballast resistor. Fired right up. Will see if a new resistor will change anything other than starting issue
Old 01-16-2016, 03:05 PM

ya moisture inside the cap will cause this as will a bad plug wire and also a messed up camshaft sensor will malfunction and cause a misfire. I would check the connections to the fuel injectors, I had a messed up injectors so I did a neon injector upgrade. also riley is right a cat problem will do that but u can usually hear it rattling underneath the truck. I hope this helps !
Old 01-16-2016, 03:06 PM

I'm sorry the grease was only used on the c101 connector. I should have clarified that. The rest just contact cleaner like yours above.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:08 PM

Residue was from a an oily bolt put in to hold down plate under rotor. It's been cleaned and so has the cap. Jeep running again. Any ideas on who carries the ballast resistor? Don't want to leave it bypassed. Any long term effects of leaving it bypassed? Have a 10 min drive home
Old 01-16-2016, 03:09 PM

its because when the jeep was first made people complained about the noisy fuel pump so they installed the resistor to quiet it down when it first fires . its really not needed
Old 01-16-2016, 03:13 PM

you wanna clean connections using electrical contact cleaner then put dielectric grease on connections ! it retains good connection and locks out moisture
Old 01-16-2016, 03:26 PM

if u really wanna replace the resistor your best chance is jeep . but as I said its really not needed mine has been bypassed since I changed my fuel pump 3 years ago with no issues
Old 01-16-2016, 03:39 PM

Thanks for all the input y'all, bypassing the resistor and this is the best it's run since I purchased the jeep!