Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Time to rewire my speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Time to rewire my speakers

Ok, I'm done trying to chase down why my rear speakers dont work, so I'm gunna rewire all four speakers, 2 door, 2 soundbar.

Is this difficult to do? How and where to I run the wires for the rear speakers. Been searching for this mod, found nothing.

Started sounding static, then cut in and out, now gone completey. Wonder if my JVC head unit is bad.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by Colnajoe
Ok, I'm done trying to chase down why my rear speakers dont work, so I'm gunna rewire all four speakers, 2 door, 2 soundbar.

Is this difficult to do? How and where to I run the wires for the rear speakers. Been searching for this mod, found nothing.

Started sounding static, then cut in and out, now gone completey. Wonder if my JVC head unit is bad.
I have an overhead sound bar, not speakers in the hatch so it might be different, but as far as the front goes they go through that rubber tube thing in between the door and the door sill, then they are behind the kick panel area up into the dash. I'm not really sure if a head unit can go bad, but I used to have a problem with my rear speakers where they were underpowered and staticy, so I replaced them and put in a new head unit and it's all good now. Good Luck

Edit: If I were to rewire my rear speakers, I would go through the plastic trim across the top then come down the A pillar. I'm not really sure where the stock wires go, but that is what I would try. And I imagine it'll take a few hours, but it shouldn't be horrible

Last edited by ctrick98; 02-01-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:44 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I also have a soundbar.... and I found my speakers wires to come down from the speakers through the passenger side C pillar, by hatch. Then to a connector by passenger side rear tail light. then it ran just below the rear windows and down under the rear seat, all passenger side. I saw a wire bundle run under rear seat towards the center arm rest. I didnt have any speaker wires behind the spare tire body panel. It was all passenger side. So I ASSume they must run through the arm rest center area, then up into the dash.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:50 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by Colnajoe
I also have a soundbar.... and I found my speakers wires to come down from the speakers through the passenger side C pillar, by hatch. Then to a connector by passenger side rear tail light. then it ran just below the rear windows and down under the rear seat, all passenger side. I saw a wire bundle run under rear seat towards the center arm rest. I didnt have any speaker wires behind the spare tire body panel. It was all passenger side. So I ASSume they must run through the arm rest center area, then up into the dash.
It's been a while since I've done mine, so you could be right. But if you're gonna rewire them that would be like taking out your whole interior. I'm running and amp in the back of mine for my sub, so I can testify that running wires through the panels under the doors on the floorline isn't that bad, and the kick panel comes off really easy, so if it was me I'd probably leave the old wire or just yank it out and maybe rewire a little more user friendly, but that's just me.