Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Engine Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap!

Hello, I would like to swap a engine into another jeep XJ. The swap would be from a 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 into another 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 (both auto and both 4x4) I have to swap the Engine Transmission and the 231 transfer case. I'm wondering if everything bolt up without any serious mods!? Thanks jake
Old 02-02-2016, 06:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0

If it's all the same I don't see why not.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0

Take pictures of everything, every bolt you start to work on. Compare the rebuild to those pics. Also, you could go ahead and use new bolts and whatever else you'll need.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:34 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jakeshredder
Hello, I would like to swap a engine into another jeep XJ. The swap would be from a 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 into another 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 (both auto and both 4x4) I have to swap the Engine Transmission and the 231 transfer case. I'm wondering if everything bolt up without any serious mods!? Thanks jake
Yes. Use the following as a "backwards" guide.

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap

This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.

The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.

Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1999 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.

You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.

The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16” square drive or a modified 3/8” drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.

As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 03/28/13
Old 02-03-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Yes. Use the following as a "backwards" guide. Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block. The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily. Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1999 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender. You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical. You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications. The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16” square drive or a modified 3/8” drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine. As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case. Revised 03/28/13
Thanks! This is the jeep that the renix will hopefully be going into, what's the easiest way to install the engine tranny and transfer case, should I do engine first or engine and tranny together? As of now the transfer case and transmission are out and the engine is almost ready to get pulled out
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2016, 06:29 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I've always just done them individually. Others may chime in.

As for the engine swap, be sure to use the intake manifold gasket for the manifold you're using, not the engine.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 PM

What should I do about the wiring? I got the renix into the 98 jeep but the wiring is different do I swap the entire computer over or what do people usually do about the wiring?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeshredder
What should I do about the wiring? I got the renix into the 98 jeep but the wiring is different do I swap the entire computer over or what do people usually do about the wiring?
renix wouldn't work with the gauges. So u have to retain the 98 computers/ system. Unless you wanna go backwards and completely gut the dashboard and put in the renix dashboard. Then it wouldn't look right with the rest of the interior. Lol