Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Default Engine won't start

When I turn the key it will turn over but not start. The check engine light is giving code 1 2 4 1 2 5 5 (or at least that's what it blinks). I ordered a PCM from Flagship one and they sent a part that was dirty and the screw (silver part on the inside) was not secure (no bushing) however, I placed it in the car (probably a stupid move) and it did not start. I removed the PCM and the screw was stuck onto the removable part. Needless to say I am sending it back, but I need my jeep running. I need someone to trust to help me with repairing the jeep I love.
I have a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 VIN# 1J4GZ58S8SC767422. Mechanics have added or say they added, spark plugs, ignition coil, distributor cap, distributor rotor, (replace cap, coil, rotor, & module), crank position sensor. They say I need a transmission control solenoid and PCM.
How can I have the old PCM tested now that it is off the car to see if it is the problem?
(in the photo: top picture is the PCM that I removed and the bottom I paid 265.00 for. Boy was I conned)
New Question: Would the CPS cause the fuel pump to not prime? We are not hearing it prime at all.
Attached Thumbnails Engine won't start-img_20160305_152012.jpg  

Last edited by TerryHoward3; 01-16-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: New question: Would the CPS cause the fuel pump to not prime. We are not hearing the fuel pump prime at all.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:48 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Going right to the PCM is a huge jump. They rarely fail.

I'd be checking the Crankshaft Position Sensor which throws no code anyway.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TerryHoward3
The check engine light is giving code 1 2 4 1 2 5 5 (or at least that's what it blinks).
that is 3 different codes (here I'm taking a guess because there is an extra number in there that doesn't make sense to me (the extra 2 before 55)), they're separated by longer pauses between them.

12 is battery disconnected in the last 50 key cycles, which is normal
41 is "Alternator field switch. Switch not operating correctly and check charging system."
55 signifies the end of the procedure.

I'd check connection to the alternator, and if you have never replaced it I would suggest you do that. like it was said above, CPS is a common culprit for the crank-no start and it doesn't always throw a code, so replace also if you have never done it.

Last edited by Cane; 03-07-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

So tell me about these mechanics, is this an actual repair shop, or some dude that says he can fix it? I'm guessing the latter. Start with having the battery load tested. Don't tell me it's ok because your head lights come on, have it tested correctly. The battery and charging system are the first places to start, low battery voltage will cause crazy things to happen.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Welcome to CF!

Bustedback is right. The battery may have enough power to crank the engine, but lack the additional load capacity to power the rest of the system while cranking. After checking the battery, try replacing the battery cable clamps. The molded lead ends are known for corrosion inside. The smaller of the 2 red wires that come off the battery clamp sends power to the PDC (Power Distribution Center, the fuse/relay box under the hood). A voltmeter connected to this wire should show at least 12 volts while the starter is engaged. A good indication of bad connections at the battery is if they get HOT after cranking the starter.

On the 95 and older jeeps, a code 41 sets when the voltage from the ASD (Auto Shutdown) relay is below 11.75 volts. The ASD relay powers up the ignition and fuel injector circuits.

JMHO, but the original PCM looks better than the one you bought. Seems to me that missing bushing can cause moisture to get into it.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-07-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 AM

Default problems

My 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0, has been in and out of the shop for over a year now. I live in a small town and the nearest Jeep dealership is in Thompson, Ga, 50 miles away. The first time it happened it broke down on the way to work. The engine would turn but not start. It was towed to Greensboro tires and auto. Engine coil, distributor cap and rotor was added 400.00 later. and I drove for a week and the same thing happened again. I asked help from someone who has a jeep exactly like mines and he suggested the crank position sensor. It was added along with new spark plugs. I purchased a new battery, the cables are good, we checked the fuel pump after someone suggested it was the fuel pump. After the crank position sensor was added it drove for about two weeks and is now in my drive way. It has new belts and things that has nothing to do with the fact that it won't start, so I have decided to learn more about the jeep myself and do my own work, as much as possible, after someone suggested I purchase the PCM and it came looking like the picture.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Model: Cherokee

You need to take the advise of the guys on this forum, they know their stuff!

I bought a 93 Grand Cherokee that would barely run and the guy I bough it from sold it to me because he ran out of money from throwing new parts at it including everything that you bought.

Turned out the distributor was put in wrong and once I got that figured out it was running perfect. I parked it, went to back it up 2 feet and it died and wouldn't start. I did all the grounds and checked all the wires, fuses, relays, etc and got it running. While it was running I wiggled the small black wire on the neg battery post and the motor died. It "looked" good but was broke off in the molded part.

Even if the battery is new and the cables look good check everything out like was suggested. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Unfortunately, the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) is a critical piece in the system. If the one that was put in was from Autozone or somebody like that, it may be bad already. When replacing electronic sensors on your jeep, I recommend using only Mopar sensors. Their quality is the best there is even though they cost more.

A little tutorial on the CPS. It is a Hall-effect switch that detects moving objects in it's vicinity by a changing magnetic field caused by that object. A Mopar sensor has a paper spacer on it that sets the proper distance when you install it and is ripped off the first time it's started. It reads the flywheel timing notches as they pass by. When you crank the engine, the CPS sends a signal to the PCM (computer) and tells it the flywheel is ACTUALLY turning. The PCM then turns on the ASD (auto shut down) relay and fuel pump relay. The ASD relay powers up the ignition and the fuel injectors. The CPS then tells the PCM engine speed and cylinder position after it starts.

SO, you can see just how critical this sensor is. I hate throwing parts at it trying to fix a problem. It's called "shotgunning" and can get expensive FAST! Having said that, my advise is to replace the CPS with a Mopar one. The last time you did that, it ran for awhile. Put the original PCM back in.

Also, get a Haynes Repair Manual and read the basics of how your jeep works, then it get really deep into it, go to pacificcoastmanuals.com and download a Full Service Manual for your specific year jeep for $7.99+tax. It's 93mb of pdf files and the BEST manual I've ever seen. Basically, it's a copy of the Factory Service Manual the dealers use. It has system explanations, diagnostic procedures, and circuit diagrams for everything on your jeep.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-08-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Default Not hearing the fuel pump prime

Originally Posted by TerryHoward3
When I turn the key it will turn over but not start. The check engine light is giving code 1 2 4 1 2 5 5 (or at least that's what it blinks). I ordered a PCM from Flagship one and they sent a part that was dirty and the screw (silver part on the inside) was not secure (no bushing) however, I placed it in the car (probably a stupid move) and it did not start. I removed the PCM and the screw was stuck onto the removable part. Needless to say I am sending it back, but I need my jeep running. I need someone to trust to help me with repairing the jeep I love.
I have a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 VIN# 1J4GZ58S8SC767422. Mechanics have added or say they added, spark plugs, ignition coil, distributor cap, distributor rotor, (replace cap, coil, rotor, & module), crank position sensor. They say I need a transmission control solenoid and PCM.
How can I have the old PCM tested now that it is off the car to see if it is the problem?
(in the photo: top picture is the PCM that I removed and the bottom I paid 265.00 for. Boy was I conned)
New Question: Would the CPS cause the fuel pump to not prime? We are not hearing it prime at all.
Originally Posted by Cane
that is 3 different codes (here I'm taking a guess because there is an extra number in there that doesn't make sense to me (the extra 2 before 55)), they're separated by longer pauses between them.

12 is battery disconnected in the last 50 key cycles, which is normal
41 is "Alternator field switch. Switch not operating correctly and check charging system."
55 signifies the end of the procedure.

I'd check connection to the alternator, and if you have never replaced it I would suggest you do that. like it was said above, CPS is a common culprit for the crank-no start and it doesn't always throw a code, so replace also if you have never done it.
Would the CPS cause the fuel pump to not prime at all?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Default Both

Originally Posted by Bustedback
So tell me about these mechanics, is this an actual repair shop, or some dude that says he can fix it? I'm guessing the latter. Start with having the battery load tested. Don't tell me it's ok because your head lights come on, have it tested correctly. The battery and charging system are the first places to start, low battery voltage will cause crazy things to happen.
i used both. The dealer said they could not do a diagnostic on a 1995. The shop put on the coils and distributors. It ran two weeks and started doing the same thing. The car broke down on the interstate and a male who worked for auto zone, and driving a 1994 jeep said it was the crank position sensor. He said that he put it on, changed the spark plugs, washed the car and tires. The car ran another week and again died on the interstate. The guy has moved out of state and the jeep sits in my yard, new battery dead and one tire going flat. I need it to run. Country girl need a working vehicle.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 PM

Default Thank you.

Originally Posted by dave1123
Unfortunately, the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) is a critical piece in the system. If the one that was put in was from Autozone or somebody like that, it may be bad already. When replacing electronic sensors on your jeep, I recommend using only Mopar sensors. Their quality is the best there is even though they cost more.

A little tutorial on the CPS. It is a Hall-effect switch that detects moving objects in it's vicinity by a changing magnetic field caused by that object. A Mopar sensor has a paper spacer on it that sets the proper distance when you install it and is ripped off the first time it's started. It reads the flywheel timing notches as they pass by. When you crank the engine, the CPS sends a signal to the PCM (computer) and tells it the flywheel is ACTUALLY turning. The PCM then turns on the ASD (auto shut down) relay and fuel pump relay. The ASD relay powers up the ignition and the fuel injectors. The CPS then tells the PCM engine speed and cylinder position after it starts.

SO, you can see just how critical this sensor is. I hate throwing parts at it trying to fix a problem. It's called "shotgunning" and can get expensive FAST! Having said that, my advise is to replace the CPS with a Mopar one. The last time you did that, it ran for awhile. Put the original PCM back in.

Also, get a Haynes Repair Manual and read the basics of how your jeep works, then it get really deep into it, go to pacificcoastmanuals.com and download a Full Service Manual for your specific year jeep for $7.99+tax. It's 93mb of pdf files and the BEST manual I've ever seen. Basically, it's a copy of the Factory Service Manual the dealers use. It has system explanations, diagnostic procedures, and circuit diagrams for everything on your jeep.
i purMopard the Haynes Repair Manual and will be sure to use Mopar sensor. You are the second person that's given a top rating for using mopar. Thank you for your advice.