Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Blower Motor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Blower Motor Replacement

I now own a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the V8 engine. I've been trying to find information or videos on replacing the blower motor for this specific vehicle but have come up with nothing. Mechanic quoted me at 500 just to take the panel off and figure out the issue. I'd like to know how to replace the blower motor myself, which I think is the issue since I have no air at all on any setting, but can feel the AC when I drive.
I can see the blower motor attachments under the glove box, but I'm hesitant to do anything without enough information first, especially since there appears to be some wiring in front of the bottom part of it. The plastic on the end seems to be broken like it's been kicked. I wouldn't be surprised since there's actually no panel there. Any assistance would be great.

Last edited by BrennaMarie33; 05-12-2017 at 12:47 AM. Reason: To add more information
Old 05-12-2017, 01:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't really help you, but maybe the members on the Grand Cherokee thread can help you, link is below
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/
Old 05-12-2017, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Hello! Welcome to the forum.

I don't own a 2000 Grand Cherokee - My rig is an '01 XJ - but I really wouldn't be too hesitant to tear into your dash. Once you get your dash bezel or attaching pieces apart it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how the blower motor is mounted and attached. Should just be maybe a couple bolts holding it in and a wiring harness clip. I would highly recommend purchasing yourself a Chilton or Haynes manual; they're great at covering procedures like these.

If you have any questions I might be able to answer please let me know!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:02 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Read the following links. The issue could be this exactly. But if not, you will at least have a better understanding of the system.
http://wjjeeps.com/blower_motor.htm
http://wjjeeps.com/hvac_sub_assembly.htm
Old 05-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The blower motor is mounted vertically under the glovebox and can be removed without removing any panels. It's held in place with 3 screws and a wiring connector from the resistor. Sometimes a small wiring harness and the radio antenna lead cover one screw, but you can remove the passenger's side kick panel to get room to tuck them aside.

Before you condemn the motor, check the wiring to make sure you have power. If you have the automatic climate control, there is a chip module next to the motor that controls it's speeds. With the manual heater, there's a resistor there. it's a ceramic box on the inside with a 4-wire plug on the outside.

Many times what happens is the blower draws too much current because of worn or dry bearings and the resistor or chip module fries itself. Aftermarket blower motors come without the squirrel cage fan and most often only have 2 black wires. They are permanent magnet motors so they will run in either direction so keep the polarity right. Squirrel cage fans don't move ANY air in reverse. Once you get the old one out, see if it runs when hooked up to the battery. If it does, check it's rotation direction. Then check the new one and mark the hot wire when you get it to spin the same way. I used spade connectors and put a female on the power lead and a male on the ground. That way I could reinstall it again if I needed to and get it right.