Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New guy with lots 'O' questions, need help (bonus points if near Charleston)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New guy with lots 'O' questions, need help (bonus points if near Charleston)

OK all, so I got me a unicorn here. '96 2dr, 2wd, 5spd. This is the first car Ive had in 15+ years, so Im a little stumped. If anyone of yall are near Charleston SC and could take a look, Id greatly appreciate it.

Im having one heck of a time finding anything out about it. Im also not seeing a ton on the issues Im having, so hopefully you guys can possibly link me to things if they exist.

Problems of note so far:

*Clunking in the rear when going over bumps, feels like the back end moves side to side

*Lots of chatter under the valve cover (and possibly the condenser pulley)

*Idle drops low and vehicle shakes more when AC is turned on

*AC doesnt specifically blow, at a stop the air "falls out" of the vents and at highway speeds it seems to blow nicely. The speed **** doesnt affect it and it wont do anything on MAX setting. Probably a blower not working?

*Interior lights dont work. Dash is fine, all those work "wonderfully", but the dome lights just dont care. Also, would love to put in LEDs but Im not sure if I can with these weird bulbs

*"Shift Up Arrow" light comes on WAY to early. Not a big deal, but hey, if I can fix it thatd be awesome.

*Center console armrest lid doesnt latch, and the latch is NOWHERE near anything to click to. Would like to have it close but not a deal breaker by any means.

Those are the big things Im worried about. Other small things are the rear hatch struts need replaced (I read ford windstars work well) and Id love to have a console with a cup holder, but thats not a deal breaker

This is a walkaround of it running, if that helps. I was regaining my voice so please bear with me, and the noise seems really loud in the video compared to in person...

Old 10-02-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

as far as the rear clunking, I would look for loose or broken shocks or leaf springs and leaf spring ubolts and bushings

shifting light is set for maximum gas mileage, so shifting at lower rpms is normal. I do not have the specs for what it should be set at, but I had a GMC pick up and it wasn't fun to drive if you shifted when it told you.

if you have noise at the ac compressor pulley, sounds like the bearings may be bad.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took her to a mechanically inclined friend who put a stethoscope to the motor, said there was a little lifter noise but the majority of the rattle and clank was coming from the compressor.

weight lifted off my shoulders, now on to more "issues"!