Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Anti-Theft woes

Old 09-07-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Anti-Theft woes

I've seen quite a number of threads dealing with the factory anti-theft and various issues..but not this one.

I have a 1999 grand cherokee laredo. It's a recent purchase, and I got it with just one key and no key fob. Now for my issue.

Over the last couple weeks, when using the key to unlock the door, the alarm started going off. Startign the jeep shuts off the alarm, and everything proceeds normally from there.

The trouble is, it has progressed from happening rarely to it happens every single time. THe transponder in the key has to be working, or it wouldn't start - or it wouldn;t start and remain running.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I have a 94 zj that's new to me. I as well had only one key with no key fob. Just had a spare made at WalMart cuz I already locked the keys in once. My key unlocks the driver side fine, but just twenty minutes ago I tried to unlock and open the passenger door and soon as I turned the key in the door the alarm went off. I immediately unlocked the back hatch and that shut it off. Then opened the driver door with no issues. Not sure if we have the same issue cuz my alarm doesn't come on long as I unlock the driver door. The previous owner couldn't get it to run for four months cuz the security system would kill the engine seconds after I started. I took his key, locked/unlocked the back hatch and then it fired right up and stayed running. When I disconnected the battery more recently to work on it, it would do the same thing and die after starting it. (can tell its the alarm cuz the blinkers will blink) I just locked/unlocked the back hatch to solve it. So my suggestion is to try that. Lock/unlock the back hatch and hopefully that resets your system.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:58 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I see several problems here. The 99 doesn't have a key tumbler in the hatch and uses a SKIM key, one with a RFD chip in it. The SKIM module has to recognize the key before it will start and run. If it doesn't, it will show a picture of a crossed out key on the dash display. You can get a second key made and have it programmed at your dealer. If you have BOTH original keys, the jeep will program new ones, but you have to have both. You can have new keys made at about $65 each.

I think your best bet is to go to your dealer and have them program new keys AND new fobs to your jeep. It'll cost you a bunch, but that's the easiest way out of this. Talk with them.

SKIM stands for Security Key Identification Module.
The following users liked this post:
Carriepeaches (10-27-2023)
Old 09-15-2015, 08:50 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

I know they changed things in 2005 because we've had 3 Jeeps with alarms (the rest of our Jeeps haven't or don't have alarms) (2 WJ's and a WK) with a factory security system, and both of our WJ's never had the alarm go off when you put the key in the door, but on our 2005 WK, when the battery gets low or goes completely dead in the remote, when you stick the key in the door and pull the handle, the alarm goes off, and like you said, the only way to shut it off is to start the Jeep. I've heard similar things for '05+ Chryslers, Dodges, and Jeeps.

As everyone else is saying, your best bet is just to have new keys and remotes programmed, but I think there are programming instructions online if you wanted to try programming a key yourself... in terms of the remotes, I've heard some sources say they CAN be programmed by the owner, whereas other sources say they CANNOT be programmed by the owner. I want to get another remote for my WJ (it came with three keys but only one remote when I bought it) and don't want to buy the remote (albeit they're cheap on eBay) and not be able to program it myself.