Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

is this all too much for a newbie to do in one shot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default is this all too much for a newbie to do in one shot?

So I've had my new to me 1995 grand cherokee limited for a few weeks now and I'm loving it. The body is very solid and the engine and trans are strong. I've been using it as my daily driver and it hasn't missed a beat. It always starts right up without any hesitation even on some cold single digit mornings. It is a 17 year old vehicle so it does need some things fixed. I took advantage of the 20 percent off sale on super bowl sunday on advanceautoparts.com and bought new rotors, pads for all 4 wheels and calipers for the rear. I'll be doing at least the front brakes tomorrow and since I'll have the wheel off I'll disable the annoying loud grinding antenna motor. Last week I replaced the rusted out muffler and tailpipe with a thrush glass pack and I love it. At idle it sounds like a big diesel beast.

Well as I was inspecting underneath I noticed the exhaust manifold has a small crack in it. I picked up a near new exhaust off of craigslist for only 40.00. It came off of a project that only had a few hundred miles. It's even painted in fire proof orange paint. After doing the research I know that this is not a small undertaking and that I will have to take out several components to get to it. And of course in my research I found out about a few mods I can do. So my plan is to swap out the intake manifold with a 99, replace the exhaust manifold with the one i bought off of craigslist, swap out the injectors with 703's and also replace the valve cover gasket with a rubber felpro as the current one is leaking slightly. My plan is to dedicate a weekend for this but i would love to get it done in one day. I'm a little bit of a newbie but I'm confident I can do it. But do you guys think this is too much to tackle at once? If not what order should I do things in, especially when putting everything back together? I I don't want to finish everything and then have to go back and rip stuff out again. Also, any other mods I should consider while I'm at it? I'll be hunting for the injectors tomorrow and I'm negotiating with a guy off of craigslist for the intake. He wants 75.00 for one that came off a 99 grand cherokee with 150,000 miles. Too much? Too many miles? I was thinking of offering 50.00.

any and all opinions are appreciated.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

You state that your a newb but I have no idea to what extent so heres what I have to say for ya. The brakes will be pretty easy but make sure you spray down the rotors with brake cleaner and then wipe down with a rag, after installing the rear calipers BLEED THE BRAKES. The exaust I wouldent beleive would be to complicated but if you have a torque wrench or know someone who does the manifold should be torqued the the factory specs. Intake Idk about really. When doing the injectors though make sure all the ring gaskets are on the injectors and not ones already in either the fuel rail or the intake or wherever the other side is connected, you dont want multiple ones stacked in there. Before taking off the fuel rail though find the fuel pump relay in the relay box and with the jeep running pull it out. Jeep may sputter a bit but it will die. this is releasing built up pressure on the rail and the injectors. some gas may leek out so it would be best to have a rag handy. Valve cover will be easy also but will also need to be torqued. If you have a torque wrench or can get one from someone and cant find torque specs for the valve cover, exaust manifold or intake let me know I can look it up for you on my auto class computers. Brakes could take just about a day so with all your wanting to do it could take 3-4 days tops. Good luck man.

Last edited by Al's92xj; 02-11-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

$75 wouldn't be unheard of for the 99+ IM. I'll say this much, it's obvious you've done some homework which causes me to be a little more confident that you can pull it off. Nothing you've mentioned is very difficult, as long as you've got decent tools, instructions, and patience.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Do the intake and exhaust at the same time, you have to pull the intake off anyway to do the exhaust. You will need a power steering pump and bracket from a 97 and newer XJ or ZJ and use a serpentine belt for a 97 ZJ. You also need a power steering pump pulley for a 97 of newer ZJ, it is different from a 95. You then route the belt to the 97 ZJ routing. You have to remove the idler pulley that is next to the alternator, but keep the bolt inplace. It would not be a bad idea to replace the cranke sensor once you have the intake and exhaust manifold off, it will be easier to get to with those two items out of the way. When replacing the valve cover gasket you're going to have to remove the CCV elbow at the back of the valve cover, it would be a good time to replace it and the grommet since the elbow will break and the grommet is old and brittle. The torque spec for the intake/exhaust manifolds is 24ftlbs. I just did the intake swap on my 95 ZJ and I'm very happy with the results, a noticable increase in power without a decrease in fuel mileage. I did clean the ports up on the new intake a little before I installed it just to even them up, there are a few that look more restricted than the others. Another mod I would recommend would to change the location of the IAT sensor from the manifold to the air cleaner assembly. I noticed smoother running after the mod. I hope this answered your questions.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You have to replace the power steering pump too? I thought it was just the bracket.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

The pump is slightly different, one of the mounting holes on the older pump has to be drilled out and the pulley swapped to a 97 and newer.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be doing the brakes on a separate day on their own. 3-4 days, that's much longer then I thought for the whole project. I really thought I could get it down in one maybe 2 at the most. Maybe I'll do the injectors and the valve cover first and then do the intake/exhaust manifolds on another day.

Also, I thought that i had read I only need the bracket for the power steering pump? I thought everything else could be reused. can someone clarify that please.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

For future reference, get your parts from rock auto. Way cheaper than auto parts stores, even with the shipping. And you can always find a 5% off coupon code which helps cut shippig costs
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mark1980
I would be doing the brakes on a separate day on their own. 3-4 days, that's much longer then I thought for the whole project. I really thought I could get it down in one maybe 2 at the most. Maybe I'll do the injectors and the valve cover first and then do the intake/exhaust manifolds on another day.

Also, I thought that i had read I only need the bracket for the power steering pump? I thought everything else could be reused. can someone clarify that please.
You can re-use the pump if you drill the threads out of the mounting holes, but you do need to replace the pulley with a 97 or newer pulley, the Doorman part number for the pulley is 300-302, it should cost you about 25 bucks, maybe less from www.rockauto.com .