Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB onboard air mounting

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO 4.0
Default ARB onboard air mounting

Hello everyone,

Wanting to mount the ARB onboard air unit that has double compressors for lockers, tools, and to air up and down etc.

My issue, I have a 1998 xj that came with ABS. I no longer have ABS since I replaced the rear end with a cherokee dana44. But the unit is still intact in my engine bay, where normally I would mount the ARB compressor. So enough babble... lets get right to the point..

Anyone running the ARB onboard air unit? if so where did you mount it?

I am not really a fan of mounting under the back seat or anywhere in the cab for that matter.. As I have seen them blow back gear oil and make a mess when not maintained properly.

M.O.R.E makes a mount for TJ's that mounts it over the intake manifold. I wonder if that would fit in the XJ? I will call them tomorrow and ask.

In the meantime, if anyone has succesfully mounted the new larger ARB on board air unit in their XJ I would love to hear about it. Especially if you fit it inside the engine bay, and have the ABS unit getting in the way of everything...

Thanks for taking the time to read this non the less... any help or ideas I receive will be much appreciated!

Attached is screenshot taken from the MORE site showing the TJ intake mani mount for this unit.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I am planing to run a cowl intake and mount all of the accessories where the airbox is sitting now.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by toasterknight
I am planing to run a cowl intake and mount all of the accessories where the airbox is sitting now.
i was thinking the same. Not sure I like the Spectre cowl unit, b/c of the small cone filter it uses. Seems to be less filtration than the stock or most other aftermarket intakes. I also hear they are louder than expected and can hear the air flow in the cab pretty good. Opening up that area would be very nice tho.

Still waiting to get in touch with M.O.R.E to see if their TJ 4.0 bracket will work..

Thanks for the reply toasterknight
Old 09-29-2015, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Mounted mine under the back seat. It only runs my lockers, but if you're going to use it to run tools/air up you may want to mount it where it can get more air. They get pretty worm when they run for a while.
Name:  IMG_20150929_174403734_zpso1c6awly.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  202.0 KB
Old 09-29-2015, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
Mounted mine under the back seat. It only runs my lockers, but if you're going to use it to run tools/air up you may want to mount it where it can get more air. They get pretty worm when they run for a while.
Thanks for the reply. The unit i am talking about is the larger arb onboard air with double compressors. Also mentioned, i am looking for a good spot outside of the cab.

Beginning to lean towards the cowl intake idea. That would clear up more than enough room for it.