Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 V8 stalled out in a drivethru

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 V8 stalled out in a drivethru

A little story on the day (Friday the 13th, of all days....) the poor thing had. Currently i've been told its the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay by 5 different people.

Woke up for work, 5am get a full tank of gas, it took about 21gal, it was about 60F outside. Drove it roughly 16 miles to work where it sat in the sun (90F so says the weather apps) for 10 hours, started her up, drove about 8 miles and had to turn around, that's a whole other story that should be on a comedy forum somewhere. proceed to drive the 18 miles home, get home and park her for roughly an hour. Hop in and go get cigs, sat parked with AC on while i partook of said cig, then drive about .25 miles to a BK, get to the menu and she starts having no guts and making some chugging noise. I quickly order and try to give her some gas but she doesn't take it, idles about 2 car lengths and cuts out. Won't turn over, thought she was too hot, couldn't check anything cause the entire engine compartment was blazing hot. Gave up and walked home once we got her into a parking spot. Came back later, around 10pm, was about 65F outside. Checked the radiator and found it had coolant, same with the reservoir. Oil wasn't coming up on the stick, which is odd cause i added a quart last week to get it in the normal area in hopes of getting a change on sunday. Nothing was leaking out of the bottom that wasn't normal or i hadn't seen before. Tried to turn her over after adding a couple quarts of oil and she still wouldn't go. Really depressing and worrisome as my last Cherokee, RIP, threw a cam on a cold snap day and died less then 8months ago.

Any suggestions? Any info needed? After work i plan to try switching the relays around and taking a multi-meter to check volts. This is my primary vehicle, a quick reply with a definitive answer would be much appreciated. Also, i'm new to site and had no idea where to post this, so if i posted wrong let me know and i'll move it.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Ah man, I just made an account here for a similar problem. Thinking it's the fuel pump. Mines a 98 Grand Cherokee 4.0. Mine specifically started dying when trying to take off from red lights. On this website, there's a really good write up I just read both for diagnosis of this issue and then how to replace the fuel pump and filter in fine detail. Is your filter old, your filter might be attached to the pump making it a moot point. Read the guides, there's a lot of electrical, wiring, relay, etc little things it could be before you drop the tank. I was on my way to work haha. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Worst case scenario, it seized from lack of oil. Then cooled off enough for you to crank it. It's going to take some checking of the systems to find where the problem is. Remember the triangle; fuel-air-spark.