Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Noobie needs help -stalled out

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Noobie needs help -stalled out

I'm new to this forum and these vehicles....I'm a pretty good mechanic and I have had a lot of cars over the years, everything from Volkswagens, Porsches, Hondas, and a great Chevy S-10 Blazer 4WD that was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. I just picked up a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.0L 6cyl and auto trans with 144K miles for a great price of $300. The body and interior are in great condition, everything seems to work, and the air is ice cold! It's been sitting for about 6 months because the owner said it started shifting funny sometimes and he was told (by AAMCO) that it needs a complete new tranny. I drove it about 10 miles from the sellers house to mine and it ran great and shifted fine. It was real low on gas, so I stopped and put $10 in it, and about a mile later I stopped at a stop sign and it stalled out like I turned off the key. It would crank, but it would not even try to start....kind of sounded like it was out of gas. I walked home and got my other car and a tow rope, and when I returned about 1/2 hour later, it started right up. I'm thinking maybe the new gas stirred things up in the fuel tank and clogged something, or maybe the fuel pump relay stuck. I drove it again later, and it was fine, but I don't trust it now. Anyone had the same experience or have any ideas?? I will probably start by replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump relay....they are cheap....about $10 each.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

Originally Posted by greenete
I'm new to this forum and these vehicles....I'm a pretty good mechanic and I have had a lot of cars over the years, everything from Volkswagens, Porsches, Hondas, and a great Chevy S-10 Blazer 4WD that was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. I just picked up a 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.0L 6cyl and auto trans with 144K miles for a great price of $300. The body and interior are in great condition, everything seems to work, and the air is ice cold! It's been sitting for about 6 months because the owner said it started shifting funny sometimes and he was told (by AAMCO) that it needs a complete new tranny. I drove it about 10 miles from the sellers house to mine and it ran great and shifted fine. It was real low on gas, so I stopped and put $10 in it, and about a mile later I stopped at a stop sign and it stalled out like I turned off the key. It would crank, but it would not even try to start....kind of sounded like it was out of gas. I walked home and got my other car and a tow rope, and when I returned about 1/2 hour later, it started right up. I'm thinking maybe the new gas stirred things up in the fuel tank and clogged something, or maybe the fuel pump relay stuck. I drove it again later, and it was fine, but I don't trust it now. Anyone had the same experience or have any ideas?? I will probably start by replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump relay....they are cheap....about $10 each.
I think the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump which is in the gas tank on those years. Other than that a good tune up is always in order. PLugs, wires, cap, rotor, maybe coil, fresh air filter, oil change,, radiator flush and fill, transmission oil filter and 4 wd service if appropriate. Probably cost another $300 or so bucks if you do it yourself but will pay huge dividends.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

On the 93-95 Grand Cherokee(aka ZJ) the fuel filter is NOT in the tank. It's in front of it mounted to the floor, and rather easy to change..