Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2005 grand cherokee laredo ac/heater blower switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK)
Engine: 3.7
Unhappy 2005 grand cherokee laredo ac/heater blower switch

Have searched the forums and determined I may need a blower motor resistor as my ac just quit on all speeds but high. Just purchased last month with only 34 k miles on it. AC worked fine for about 2 weeks, then last week wife told me it would only work on high. It is her vehicle and she does all the driving.
Found instructions to replace resistor on 2004, but panel doesn't look like it removes on the 2005. Could someone please give a few pointers? TIA for any help.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 PM

Guess it must be the same since no replies. Still doesn't look like it tho. Thanks all for viewing.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM

Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2l

Check YouTube for videos on how to take the panel off and change the resistor. You're bound to come across something.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 AM

Red face resistor

Originally Posted by Creature85
Check YouTube for videos on how to take the panel off and change the resistor. You're bound to come across something.
Thanks Creature, but I don't know anything about YouTube. Wouldn't know how to go about it.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 AM

You have to remove the glove box and it sould be right behind there. here's a pic for you.

1. Remove the glove box from the instrument panel.
  2. Disengage the wire harness connector locking tab (1) and disconnect the wire harness connector (2) from the blower motor resistor (3).
  3. Remove the two screws (4) that secure the blower motor resistor to the HVAC housing (5).
  4. Remove the blower motor resistor from the HVAC housing.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Resistor

Originally Posted by BKohs
You have to remove the glove box and it sould be right behind there. here's a pic for you.

1. Remove the glove box from the instrument panel.
  2. Disengage the wire harness connector locking tab (1) and disconnect the wire harness connector (2) from the blower motor resistor (3).
  3. Remove the two screws (4) that secure the blower motor resistor to the HVAC housing (5).
  4. Remove the blower motor resistor from the HVAC housing.
Thanks BKohs! Thats exactly the kind of info a dummy like me needs. Pictures and step by step instructions.Want to pull it out to check part number before purchasing. Just browsing internet to kind of check prices and found 3 or 4 different parts and very different prices.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM

The Jeep part number should be 5143127AA. hope this all helps.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by BKohs
The Jeep part number should be 5143127AA. hope this all helps.
Thanks again, BKohs. I feel really stupid asking this, but how does glove box come out? Found a plastic tab that seems to be the key, but I don't want to pull on the wrong thing and maybe damage the box. Have had issues with removing glove box in older vehicles and seems like they never did go back in like originally meant. At 67 years old, I still find I learn something every day! Thanks agsin. At least my wife will be off my butt by seeing that I'm at least attempting to fix the problem.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Model: Cherokee

You're going about this the right way - questions are good. Stand on your head in the passenger floorboard and look at the underside of the front bottom of the glove box. There is a long hinge that runs all the way across, held in place by about a half dozen Phillips head screws. After that, you may have to press in on some little side pieces that keep the box from opening up too far. The resistor is right up on the firewall, quite high. Good luck. For me the yoga positioning was the hardest thing.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When you get it out, make sure the connector plug isn't melted. Dodge had some problems with the plugs in the Caravans. My wife's did the same thing, so I went to the dealer's parts counter and got one. The parts guy said "Do you want the connector too?" I said no but found when I went to pull it out, the whole thing was welded together. It seems they forgot to use high-temperature nylon when they molded it!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:49 AM

Default yoga

Originally Posted by Dr J
You're going about this the right way - questions are good. Stand on your head in the passenger floorboard and look at the underside of the front bottom of the glove box. There is a long hinge that runs all the way across, held in place by about a half dozen Phillips head screws. After that, you may have to press in on some little side pieces that keep the box from opening up too far. The resistor is right up on the firewall, quite high. Good luck. For me the yoga positioning was the hardest thing.
I see what you mean Dr. J. I am not very agile due to arthritis, but tried and only way was for me to feel. Could not get feet over back seat to look and could not get a good enough view while sitting on ground. Body just won't flex like it used to. Temp is running about 90 here during day, so made deal with grandson to look at it early Monday morning for me before it gets so hot. Funny thing, after all the body sweats that day, decided to turn ac on hi to cool off. (Was waiting for wife in parking lot of dollar store) When I turned it on, blower worked on all speeds!!! Imagine I will be getting into the same situation as the next post by Dave1 123 when grandson finally gets it out. I know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it but definitely something needs inspected. Again, thanks to all for all the information. Will post the outcome next week hopefully
Old 12-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Smile Jeep ac/heater blower switch

Had a friend (shade tree mechanic) look at this problem. Using the info and diagrams furnished by the helpful responders of this forum, he managed to fix it in about 15 minutes. He said all he had to do was remove 2 screws and drop a panel under the glove box. He said it was a tight fit, but didn't remove glove box. Plug in connector was OK. He charged me $10 and the part was $11. I was so happy to have it fixed and my wife off my back I tipped him $10. I really appreciate all assistance and replies I received from this forum and want to wish all a very happy and healthy holiday season!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by donp815
Had a friend (shade tree mechanic) look at this problem. Using the info and diagrams furnished by the helpful responders of this forum, he managed to fix it in about 15 minutes. He said all he had to do was remove 2 screws and drop a panel under the glove box. He said it was a tight fit, but didn't remove glove box. Plug in connector was OK. He charged me $10 and the part was $11. I was so happy to have it fixed and my wife off my back I tipped him $10. I really appreciate all assistance and replies I received from this forum and want to wish all a very happy and healthy holiday season!!!

IT DID IT AGAIN!!
Just to satisfy my curiosity, is this something I should expect to replace every 6 months or did I get a bad replacement part? Bought at Auto Zone. Maybe should go to Jeep dealer and get OEM replacement? Just curious.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

No, that's about the quality of the part Autozone sells.

You should be surprised that it worked right out of the box, and 6 months afterwards.