Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RED MESS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default RED MESS

Hi All,
Well after leaving my 95 XJ in Baja as planned...My garage looked empty and I needed a new project. I just didn't think it would happen this fast...Saw this on Craigs and had to check it out...
94 Cherokee 4 Whl drive 222,221 miles. Right hand drive,former mail deliverer.Hasnt moved in 3 years...Bought it for $500

THE GOOD
Nice body, no rust, no major dents.
Good floor and frame
Usable tires, for now
As a mail Jeep, I don't think she was driven hard

THE BAD
Everything else
Blown motor--(maybe) they said it was blown, but got it running again for a while ? We'll see. I plan on it being NG
Missing passenger window--( driver window for most)
Because of missing window, interior is a mess. ..Moldy ,smelly..
Owner was messing with door electronics. left it a mess..looks like a complete rewire for windows and locks
Carpet needs to be pulled up.
At least one door panel needs replacing
Headliner falling down
Either front bearings or breaks are frozen. Its in driveway, but I cant move it because of that.

And that's what I know--So far..
Going to be looking to you guys and the forum for interior advice...cleaning/rewiring ect.
Someone recently posted a picture of some Orange something cleaner for interior..anyone remember that post..??

Anyhow, here we go.
.Got to hand it to my wife..she took it pretty well considering I just moved one Jeep out....
Attached Thumbnails RED MESS-inked20180407_142044_resized_li.jpg   RED MESS-inked20180407_162104_resized_li.jpg   RED MESS-20180407_162429_resized.jpg   RED MESS-20180407_163416_resized.jpg   RED MESS-inked20180407_163359_resized_li.jpg  

RED MESS-20180407_150214_resized.jpg   RED MESS-20180407_151235_resized.jpg   RED MESS-20180407_170909_resized.jpg   RED MESS-20180407_170949_resized.jpg   RED MESS-20180408_065028_resized.jpg  

Old 04-08-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Choooo.... get an ozone generator in there for sure--kill all the things!

Looks like a good long project. Door wiring redo is a good idea. I purposely chose my project to be a mechanical-only affair, unlike my previous XJ.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee

This is a prime example of just when you thought you had it bad....yikes but I imagine you will bring this poor thing back to life. Gut that entire interior out disinfect it best you can scrubbing it down and hopefully you can salvage.

Engine bay looks pretty intact despite the wilderness trying to grow in there, so hopefully motor is not toast and you can fix it up.

Plans to fully restore then sell it or keep it?
Old 04-08-2018, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Take a ShopVac to the engine bay first thing before trying to wash it. Using a water hose or pressure washer or even an air nozzle to try and clean all that nature out could pack it in nooks and crannies and youll get stuff dropping in your face for years to come lol

Get some lemon scented ammonia and mix that with some hot water about 50/50 and add a splash of dish soap. that should do a very good job cleaning the interior. and again use a shop vac to help you keep that crap from getting packed into tight places

and good luck lol keep us up to date with pics
Old 04-08-2018, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Id gut it and go over every nook and cranny. Check the blower motor for nesting or anything that may have crawled in there and died.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:06 AM

Default Shop Vac

Originally Posted by TrailerTrash
Take a ShopVac to the engine bay first thing before trying to wash it. Using a water hose or pressure washer or even an air nozzle to try and clean all that nature out could pack it in nooks and crannies and youll get stuff dropping in your face for years to come lol

Get some lemon scented ammonia and mix that with some hot water about 50/50 and add a splash of dish soap. that should do a very good job cleaning the interior. and again use a shop vac to help you keep that crap from getting packed into tight places

and good luck lol keep us up to date with pics
Good Advice on shop vac....I was just getting ready to fire up my pressure washer.......Thanks !!!
Old 04-08-2018, 11:12 AM

Default Red

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4
This is a prime example of just when you thought you had it bad....yikes but I imagine you will bring this poor thing back to life. Gut that entire interior out disinfect it best you can scrubbing it down and hopefully you can salvage.

Engine bay looks pretty intact despite the wilderness trying to grow in there, so hopefully motor is not toast and you can fix it up.

Plans to fully restore then sell it or keep it?
Well its a restore for now...I needed a project....Long term, I may make another trip to Mexico with it....I can get headliner,and whatever minor body work needs fixing done for much less than up here. But I will bring this one back home.
I don't need two jeeps in Mexico And probably sell it ...That's a few years off I think....
Old 04-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Default Extra door :(

Then there is this jem...The owner had this door in the back..I said I didn't want it and took it out....Well...when the truck came to pick it up, I left before it was fully loaded....
Driver got to my house, and said, OH and he said you forgot the door, its in the back.. Ba%#@!&
Oh well anybody want a baby blue door ???
Attached Thumbnails RED MESS-20180407_164435_resized.jpg  
Old 04-08-2018, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ozalid
Then there is this jem...The owner had this door in the back..I said I didn't want it and took it out....Well...when the truck came to pick it up, I left before it was fully loaded....
Driver got to my house, and said, OH and he said you forgot the door, its in the back.. Ba%#@!&
Oh well anybody want a baby blue door ???

I'm looking forward to your progress with this but it sure breaks my heart to see it in this shape. I just never understand what people do. The very least this guy could have done is give it away to someone who needed a vehicle prior to it getting this condition. Tons of kids out there who could use a vehicle ya know. .

Last edited by XJIrish4x4; 04-08-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:01 PM

Default Neglected

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4
I'm looking forward to your progress with this but it sure breaks my heart to see it in this shape. I just never understand what people do. The very least this guy could have done is give it sway to someone who needed a vehicle prior to it getting this condition. Tons of kids out there who could use a vehicle ya know. .
I agree...I feel the same way. Part of the reason I took it on was I felt this Nice Jeep deserved better..
When I went into the house to sign papers.....well the condition of the Jeep made sense ...
Old 04-08-2018, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

I agree...I feel the same way. Part of the reason I took it on was I felt this Nice Jeep deserved better..
When I went into the house to sign papers.....well the condition of the Jeep made sense ...
Well you got your work cut out for you but I imagine we will see some good progress soon.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:30 PM

Default Red Mess Update

Well some good news..The motor is not blown.... at least in the traditional sense .. Pulled my car up and put on the jumpers,.Pulled out air filter,Shoved some starting fluid down the manifold and Varoom..
There may well be something else wrong..But it runs..
Meanwhile, pulled up some carpet..Standing water in front cabin,left side...Surprisingly little rust... Less water on right side, bit more rust . Looks like it can be arrested...Any suggestions ?, better than Rustoleum ?
Attached Thumbnails RED MESS-20180408_141708_resized.jpg   RED MESS-20180408_144016_resized.jpg   RED MESS-20180408_145315_resized.jpg  
Old 04-08-2018, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Well some good news..The motor is not blown.... at least in the traditional sense .. Pulled my car up and put on the jumpers,.Pulled out air filter,Shoved some starting fluid down the manifold and Varoom..
There may well be something else wrong..But it runs..
Meanwhile, pulled up some carpet..Standing water in front cabin,left side...Surprisingly little rust... Less water on right side, bit more rust . Looks like it can be arrested...Any suggestions ?, better than Rustoleum ?

That rust is nothing!!! I would just hit it with grinder maybe even lighter and with wire wheel. If no holes just put down some rustoleum primer and top coat it with a good quality bedliner. Then after that put carpet back over if you want for insulation of road noise. I wouldn't because it traps things like moisture.

Here is a example of mine before I did my floor.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

After i just put new pan in
Old 04-08-2018, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Here is the rest of floor that I just hit with rustoleum primer and bedliner after of course stripping rust away that was only surface.

Quick Reply: RED MESS