Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ Stutters When Trying To Start

Old 09-24-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ Stutters When Trying To Start

Just bought a 94 Cherokee as a ride around the lake go camping/fishing toy. We immediately changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, and plug wires. It runs fine once on, no knocks or anything wild but it stutters pretty hard when you try to start it. Battery tests good. We just aren't sure what direction to go next. Starter and alternator or somewhere else?
Old 09-24-2018, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

First and foremost, check and clean all your grounds and battery terminals and make sure the connections are tight.

If it's still stuttering at startup, load test the battery and make sure that it's good. You can typically have this done "on-vehicle" at your local parts retailer (Autozone, etc) for free - just call the specific store and make sure.

If you've done all that and still have trouble, maybe post a video of what's happening since "stuttering" comes in many flavors.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

define stutter...have you looked at the fuel filter? my xj developed an annoying misfire on startup a few years ago. investigation lead to discovering the ignition coil had several large cracks in the metal case that had actually grown rusty. once replaced, it was fine again.

Last edited by s346k; 09-25-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:37 PM

Year: 1996

My 96 had a similar issue. Ended up being the fuel pump
Old 09-29-2018, 04:00 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Okay so we have checked the battery and it's fine and well attached. Today when we got the jeep out it barely started at all. You could hear it click but it wasn't even trying to start. Turned the key off waited a couple second then it started right up. So we are thinking the ignition coil is bad so we are replacing it since it's a relatively cheap and easy fix. If this doesn't work then I guess we will will be getting a new fuel pump.

Thanks for the help y'all!
Old 09-29-2018, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

Had it scanned for any tripped codes?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by KelseyLou454
Okay so we have checked the battery and it's fine and well attached. Today when we got the jeep out it barely started at all. You could hear it click but it wasn't even trying to start. Turned the key off waited a couple second then it started right up. So we are thinking the ignition coil is bad so we are replacing it since it's a relatively cheap and easy fix. If this doesn't work then I guess we will will be getting a new fuel pump.

Thanks for the help y'all!
Kelsey, this does not sound like an ignition coil problem. Exactly how did you check the battery?

The "clicking" that you heard speaks to a connection problem somewhere within the starting circuit. Remove battery cables from the battery; clean both the battery cables and the posts on the battery until shiny and firmly reattach. You must do this; you can have a problem even though the battery cables/connections look fine.

If this doesn't resolve it, freshen all engine grounds. Grounds are the source of all life for starting a vehicle.

Hold off on that fuel pump; what you describe does not indicate fuel delivery problem. This is electrical. Clicking is electrical.

Last edited by tjwalker; 09-29-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Kelsey, this does not sound like an ignition coil problem. Exactly how did you check the battery?

The "clicking" that you heard speaks to a connection problem somewhere within the starting circuit. Remove battery cables from the battery; clean both the battery cables and the posts on the battery until shiny and firmly reattach. You must do this; you can have a problem even though the battery cables/connections look fine.

If this doesn't resolve it, freshen all engine grounds. Grounds are the source of all life for starting a vehicle.

Hold off on that fuel pump; what you describe does not indicate fuel delivery problem. This is electrical. Clicking is electrical.
i second all of this.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:44 AM

Year: 1996

Agreed, the way you describe the symptoms now does not sound like the fuel pump, but an electrical issue.

I just replaced all my battery cables with a kit from k-suspension. It starts better and the windows go up/down in about half the time they used to take. Well worth the hundred bucks.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by KelseyLou454
it stutters pretty hard when you try to start it.
Before or after the plugs and wires?
Any codes?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Dont bother with the fuel pump. A click from the starter when trying to crank is not fuel related. A click from the starter when trying to crank is the starter not having enough power to turn the engine over to start. It would click but not start, then it would start. Sounds like a dirty connection to me.

Did you clean the engine grounds? The XJ is very fussy when they get dirty. When you checked the battery, did you remove the cables and clean both clamps and posts, or just make sure they were tight? Cables can be tight, but if you can see even a little corrosion, clean them. Check the starter connections, too.