Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l I6
Default Windshield replacement?

So my windshield is toast and I need to replace it. I am going to buy a windshield to put in but what else will I need? I have a local windshield service that will do it all for 185 plus tax is that a good price? Or should I just buy a windshield and whatever stuff I need and do it myself? How hard is it?

If I do it myself I need
Windshield
Weather stripping????
Any special tools?

I wish there was a writeup maybe I will do one if someone can give me an idea lol.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

If you do it yourself you will need winshield weld,can buy it at any autoparts,or your local glass shop will have some also.
$185 is not a bad price.
If you do it yourself you will need to cut yours out,I just replaced mine and used piano wire to cut one out at the jy,and the one in the jeep.
Then you need to remove it from the pinchwell so it is smooth,and make sure the window is clean,then apply the winshield weld to the window and put it place and use tape to hold it tight against the pinchwell,let it setup for a day.
Mine turned out great and does not leak.
Cost me $50 winshield and adhesive.
Of course you may run into things,just make sure you take your time and check the pinchwell to make sure it is square all around,takes about an hour to cut one out with piano wire,you will need some help so there is someone on the inside and outside.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

if you haven't already, search around through a few companies and find the best deal... i had a windsheild go out and the first place i called quoted me $200 installed.. the next place wanted me to bring my jeep in and it would be $170 installed but i would need to leave it there for 2 days...

the place that i ended up giving my money to came to my house and installed the new one in my garage for $145....(action auto glass) but i'm in MI so i don't think they could help you out there.....

there's more to it than just weahter stripping.... something like weather seal apoxy or sumtin regardless though
good luck with the repair
Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Member

So all the parts alone will be around 100 including glass and stuff. I may just get it done.

The 185 price was someone coming out to my house and doing it in my driveway. I have to get it done before I can drive because it was a non highway vehicle and cant get a tag because the windshield is trashed lol.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

does that windshield place give u a brand new windshield with that price? i had qualityglass,here in my town come to my driveway and they put in a brand new windshield into my car for 250 bucks. that was the price for them to take the old one out, but i took it out already since it had a big hole in it, because i did the bodywork myself, the top lip was bashed down. redmucks cracked almost all the way down now, so ill hav them replace that one too. hopefully for around 250 bucks too.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

Originally Posted by redmuck
does that windshield place give u a brand new windshield with that price? i had qualityglass,here in my town come to my driveway and they put in a brand new windshield into my car for 250 bucks. that was the price for them to take the old one out, but i took it out already since it had a big hole in it, because i did the bodywork myself, the top lip was bashed down. redmucks cracked almost all the way down now, so ill hav them replace that one too. hopefully for around 250 bucks too.
if you were asking me then yea... they removed mine and installed a brand new one for only $145 (95 jeep cherokee with a universal rubber trim piece) hell.... about a month and a half after they installed it the rubber trim started to come out a little so i called them up and they came out and completely re-bonded the trim to my windshield...
For sure call them if your in MI and need a windshield
Old 01-31-2010, 07:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
if you were asking me then yea... they removed mine and installed a brand new one for only $145 (95 jeep cherokee with a universal rubber trim piece) hell.... about a month and a half after they installed it the rubber trim started to come out a little so i called them up and they came out and completely re-bonded the trim to my windshield...
For sure call them if your in MI and need a windshield
i was asking mycherokee. but thats a good price for your yours too. south bend here.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Seasoned Member

I called around and tried to tlak them down. I am having mine replaced tomorrow for 180 even including tax. Not a bad deal?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I paid $200 for mine.. glass, seal & installed w a lifetime warranty. I dropped it off at my glass guy's shop & 2 hours later the brand new PPG glass was done. $180 sounds like a good deal. Any idea what brand of glass he'll use?