Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What is wrong with my '96 cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What is wrong with my '96 cherokee?

I'm on wits end with my jeep. I have replaced the alternator when that died, I replaced the coil and wires when my check engine light turned on, and my car is still dying. The light went off when I replaced the coil and wires so we thought that the dying would stop. Couple months later it is dying again. I can get it started and it will die. Sometimes I can make it down the street before it dies. It will rev and then die. I don't know what could be wrong with it now. The battery and spark plugs are fine. I change the oil when I'm supposed to. All the fluids are full. If you have any idea as to what could be wrong that would be great. I would like to get this thing fixed so I can sell it. But no one wants a car that doesn't want to run.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check for trouble codes and get back to us. What engine do you have? Is it a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? Why do you want to sell it after a little trouble? It is a Jeep, after all.

Last edited by dave1123; 06-25-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 AM

Default Reply to your reply

I have an inline 6. Besides the code saying I had misfires(which I fixed when I replaced the coil and wires.) and saying I disconnected my battery there are no codes. Just a Cherokee. Not grand. I don't make enough money to drive a car with that terrible of gas mileage. Beside the issue with it dying it is a great car. I just can't afford it's gas.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Yes, Jeeps were never easy on gas. That's because of all those gears that are turning whither you're using the 4WD or not, and they are heavy vehicles by design.

You might want to take your post to the Cherokee section, you might get a better response. There may be something specific to Cherokees that might be a factor.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You sure you have gas in it?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Oh! Nice catch, Captain Obvious! Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. How about the distributor rotor? How bad was it when he changed the cap? How about the fuel filter or pump? What is his fuel pressure?

It is SO hard to remote diagnose problems like this without actual hands-on knowledge of the vehicle. I like to think about things that get overlooked to eliminate them as possibilities. Sometimes that works, sometimes not.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Default What is wrong with my Jeep?

I'm on wits end with my jeep. I have replaced the alternator when that died, I replaced the coil and wires when my check engine light turned on, and my car is still dying. The light went off when I replaced the coil and wires so we thought that the dying would stop. Couple months later it is dying again. I can get it started and it will die. Sometimes I can make it down the street before it dies. It will rev and then die. I don't know what could be wrong with it now. The battery and spark plugs are fine. I change the oil when I'm supposed to. All the fluids are full. If you have any idea as to what could be wrong that would be great. I would like to get this thing fixed so I can sell it.(can't afford the gas for it) But no one wants a car that doesn't want to run. It is a Jeep Cherokee with an inline 6.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

The gas gauge can be reading wrong and you think you have more gas then you do.Can be a weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.Have you tested the fuel psi at the rail?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 AM

Year: 1997

fuel pump? fuel filter?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Could be many things. The CPS (crank position sensor) will occasionally die a slow and agonizing death, signs of failure mimic fuel starvation... sputter, give it full throttle, sputter, bogs, dies. It will sometimes restart after a few minutes and run perfectly for a while, then repeat.

Could be your fuel pump or, less likely, your fuel filter.

Could be fuel pressure regulator, also unlikely.

Could be your throttle position sensor or IAC.

My guess is that it's your CPS, they all have to be replaced at some point. Some can be tested, some can't. It depends on the year... which you did not provide.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 AM
CF Veteran

Why keep making the same post? https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/wha...erokee-195698/