Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vibration in 2000 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Vibration in 2000 XJ

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following I have a 2000Xj Classic with 16inc wheels and 225 70 16 new BF/ATtyres not sure what those sizes are in imperial measurements but they are the suggested size the xj has a 2in lift but at 110 klms or 65mph an hour a vibrations starts and get worst with increased speed I have installed spacers on the transfer case and swapped the wheel from my sons 96 xj and no noticable change the diff has also been changed to a new 8.25 Chrysler from the d35 and perhaps a slight increase in the vibration I have heard that some late model xjs came from the factory with the above problem and I am now considering using 2or 4 degree shims to try and solve the problem the other option is SYE kit but that seems an overkill with a 2in lift so if anyone can help I would be grateful regards paul [Tiler 607]
Old 06-14-2009, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by tiler607
I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following I have a 2000Xj Classic with 16inc wheels and 225 70 16 new BF/ATtyres not sure what those sizes are in imperial measurements but they are the suggested size the xj has a 2in lift but at 110 klms or 65mph an hour a vibrations starts and get worst with increased speed I have installed spacers on the transfer case and swapped the wheel from my sons 96 xj and no noticable change the diff has also been changed to a new 8.25 Chrysler from the d35 and perhaps a slight increase in the vibration I have heard that some late model xjs came from the factory with the above problem and I am now considering using 2or 4 degree shims to try and solve the problem the other option is SYE kit but that seems an overkill with a 2in lift so if anyone can help I would be grateful regards paul [Tiler 607]
I dont respond to your replies its because of the time difference in Australia thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Ok, first off, why did you replace the diff for the 8.25? The 2" lift on 225's should not be enough of a lift to cause driveline vibrations. I would ask if you have had a front end alignment post instalment of the lift? Also, if your tires are now new, you might have a bad tire/ broken belt in the tire. If no avail, I would, try to figure out if it's front end or rear end. If it's the rear, then you have the driveshaft and u-joints. If it's the front, then you have quite a bit more to search through. If you have not wheeled it hard, I would start easy, ball joints and tierod ends. Good Luck.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Seasoned Member

I dont respond to your replies its because of the time difference in Australia thanks

What difference does that make??
Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

What kind of vibes are you getting? The kind that makes the steering wheel shake and shimmy or the kind that you can feel under your seat and on the floor, the grinding kind?

One thing I would check first is the u-joints in the driveshaft. I had the EXACT same issue (I posted a thread about it in this forum, or maybe another forum) and kept thinking it was the angles but it turned out to be a bad u-joint cap that was seized and dried up. I replaced that and voila, vibes-b-gone. To check that, you remove the driveshaft and rotate the u-joint caps by hand. If they spin freely then they are fine. If there's resistance or they don't spin at all then it's time to replace them.

If it is the angles then check out the picture:

You need to measure the yoke angle from the transfer case and the axle. Both need to be the same angle to operate properly. To measure the angle, rotate your shaft so that the u-joint cap is pointing directly DOWN at the ground. Take a socket that fits on the cap and then put your angle finder on the socket. The socket is basically "extending" the cap surface cuz you can't put the angle finder on the cap directly. It doesn't fit. Once you get the angle, then do the other u-joint at the other end. Compare them and make sure they are the same.

Another thing to try is removing the front driveshaft. There are 8 little bolts that need to come off (i think 8mm) and the shaft pops right off. Drive it without the front shaft and see if the vibes are gone or still there so you can eliminate that one as the culprit. Finding the source of the vibes requires eliminating possible suspects and the front shaft is a possibility.

Last edited by muddeprived; 06-14-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 AM

Default 2000XJ vibs

Originally Posted by muddeprived
What kind of vibes are you getting? The kind that makes the steering wheel shake and shimmy or the kind that you can feel under your seat and on the floor, the grinding kind?

One thing I would check first is the u-joints in the driveshaft. I had the EXACT same issue (I posted a thread about it in this forum, or maybe another forum) and kept thinking it was the angles but it turned out to be a bad u-joint cap that was seized and dried up. I replaced that and voila, vibes-b-gone. To check that, you remove the driveshaft and rotate the u-joint caps by hand. If they spin freely then they are fine. If there's resistance or they don't spin at all then it's time to replace them.

If it is the angles then check out the picture:

You need to measure the yoke angle from the transfer case and the axle. Both need to be the same angle to operate properly. To measure the angle, rotate your shaft so that the u-joint cap is pointing directly DOWN at the ground. Take a socket that fits on the cap and then put your angle finder on the socket. The socket is basically "extending" the cap surface cuz you can't put the angle finder on the cap directly. It doesn't fit. Once you get the angle, then do the other u-joint at the other end. Compare them and make sure they are the same.

Another thing to try is removing the front driveshaft. There are 8 little bolts that need to come off (i think 8mm) and the shaft pops right off. Drive it without the front shaft and see if the vibes are gone or still there so you can eliminate that one as the culprit. Finding the source of the vibes requires eliminating possible suspects and the front shaft is a possibility.
I am sorry I should have provided more info the vibration was present with the old tyres it was present with the tyres off my sons 96 XJ the drive shaft on the 8.25 is different to the D35 so that is new Second hand the vibration does not come through the steering but seem to eminate from the rear the xj doesnt shake about but their is hamonic pulse to the vibration that get more intense with greater speed
Old 06-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by LCFRJEEP
Ok, first off, why did you replace the diff for the 8.25? The 2" lift on 225's should not be enough of a lift to cause driveline vibrations. I would ask if you have had a front end alignment post instalment of the lift? Also, if your tires are now new, you might have a bad tire/ broken belt in the tire. If no avail, I would, try to figure out if it's front end or rear end. If it's the rear, then you have the driveshaft and u-joints. If it's the front, then you have quite a bit more to search through. If you have not wheeled it hard, I would start easy, ball joints and tierod ends. Good Luck.
It was cost effective to spend 1500 on a 29 spline new drum to drum 8.25 than 1200 rebuild and I get a somewhat better diff and direct bolt on d44s with low ks are hardto come by in Aus I have had an alignment and have fitted adjustable tract rod replaced control arm bushes and ball joints are ok the XJ has only traveled 142000klms
Old 06-14-2009, 06:57 AM

I am sorry I should have provided more info the vibration was present with the old tyres it was present with the tyres off my sons 96 XJ the drive shaft on the 8.25 is different to the D35 so that is new Second hand the vibration does not come through the steering but seem to eminate from the rear the xj doesnt shake about but their is hamonic pulse to the vibration that get more intense with greater speed
Thank you for the reply I will try the front removal but Iam almost positive its fromthe rear regards paul
Old 06-14-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

i would check the ujoints first if they are even questionable replace them if they are good the driveshaft could be out of balance on a 2inch lift i dont think your driveline angles would change enough to cause vibrations i would check the driveshaft and ujoints first any dent or scratch in the driveshaft could cause it to go out of balance so check that first if your sure its coming from the rear
Old 06-14-2009, 07:41 AM

Default 2000XJ vibs

Originally Posted by jd4x426
i would check the ujoints first if they are even questionable replace them if they are good the driveshaft could be out of balance on a 2inch lift i dont think your driveline angles would change enough to cause vibrations i would check the driveshaft and ujoints first any dent or scratch in the driveshaft could cause it to go out of balance so check that first if your sure its coming from the rear
Thank you for the reply I would have to be unlucky to have bad unies in my d35 and now my 8.25 and the same with the shafts but I will follow your suggestions I really appreciate all the replies paul
Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by LCFRJEEP
FYI, I installed OME HD rear springs and they netted 1.75" lift. I had vibes and needed to drop the case. The newer cherokees can get vibes with as little as 1" of lift.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by muddeprived
FYI, I installed OME HD rear springs and they netted 1.75" lift. I had vibes and needed to drop the case. The newer cherokees can get vibes with as little as 1" of lift.

Well it sounds like your rig is a SALLY!! Just kidding, I was only going off of my personal info. I have a 3" RC lift and not a vib to speak of and the same for my buddies XJ with a 3" lift. I forgot, the 97 and newer XJ's had the t-cases with out the "neck" on the output shaft which made them seem to have vibs more often then others.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:24 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L Inline 6

"i lost my universal joint and i had to use my finger." hahaha