Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Motor mount question?

Old 09-26-2015, 08:29 PM
  #1  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 1,508
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Motor mount question?

99 auto 4 wheel drive.

So I just replaced my motor mounts with the rubber mounts from Brown dog. I am now having two weird issues.

1) the front pcv valve is rubbing on the hood. Has anyone seen this happen before.

2) it is vibrating a lot. I installed to the directions, leaving the bolts a bit loose so one washer could spin. The vibration is always there but worse when the engine is loaded such as in gear and stopped or climbing a hill.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
toasterknight is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 09:47 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
madmanmarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 1,052
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default

R u sure it's not upside down,wrong side,or wrong part.
Never heard of the elbows hitting.
madmanmarty is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 PM
  #3  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 1,508
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default

Originally Posted by madmanmarty View Post
R u sure it's not upside down,wrong side,or wrong part.
Never heard of the elbows hitting.
I just verified it was the right part and the right side. It appears its the only rubber connector and not the elbow that is hitting. I don't think you can install them upside down so we are good there.
toasterknight is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 12:09 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
JandDGreens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 938
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default

Did you loosen your Tranny mount (or better yet replace it at the same time)? I can't figure why you have to much vibes? When I installed mine (Rubber also) I over tightened my and had horrible vibes, loosened it the right way and no more vibes.
JandDGreens is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 AM
  #5  
CF Veteran
 
CCKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 8,357
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by toasterknight View Post
99 auto 4 wheel drive.

So I just replaced my motor mounts with the rubber mounts from Brown dog. I am now having two weird issues.

1) the front pcv valve is rubbing on the hood. Has anyone seen this happen before.

2) it is vibrating a lot. I installed to the directions, leaving the bolts a bit loose so one washer could spin. The vibration is always there but worse when the engine is loaded such as in gear and stopped or climbing a hill.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Can you take a photo of this "PCV Valve" and post it here.


The front fitting is not a valve, but just an open tube elbow that fits nearly flush with the valve cover.
CCKen is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 06:36 AM
  #6  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 8,015
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Sure you didnt buy the taller mounts?He sells some that are a inch taller.
andrewmp6 is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 06:57 AM
  #7  
CF Veteran
 
4WD4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a large sandbox
Posts: 1,619
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Sure you didnt buy the taller mounts?He sells some that are a inch taller.
I was wondering the same thing.

I, too, would check the condition of the tranny mount.
4WD4EVER is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 09:02 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 897
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO
Default

Originally Posted by JandDGreens View Post
Did you loosen your Tranny mount (or better yet replace it at the same time)? I can't figure why you have to much vibes? When I installed mine (Rubber also) I over tightened my and had horrible vibes, loosened it the right way and no more vibes.
I'm assuming you loosened the long bolt going through the rubber part of the mount? Does anyone know what the proper torque for this bolt should be?
rgr4475 is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 10:50 AM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,379
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L
Default

Post some pics of the mounts and the elbow that is rubbing the hood. It would be easier for folks here to help if they can see what you're talking about.

Look at your Brown Dog order and see if you ordered model CU2572-0K2 or model CU2572-1K2. The "1" is the taller mount to raise the engine 1". Unless you had drive line issues, you wanted the "0" version that does NOT lift the engine.

Regarding vibrations, these things are not going to feel like OEM because the rubber BD uses is harder than stock. However, they do seem to break in over time. Mine turned my truck into a soothing massage chair when first installed. Within a few hundred miles it calmed down. Installing the 1" lift mounts could also introduce some vibrations by changing the drive line angle, so you still want to check to make sure you bought the right mounts.
extrashaky is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 11:42 AM
  #10  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 1,508
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default

Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
Can you take a photo of this "PCV Valve" and post it here.
Will post photos as soon as I can.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Sure you didnt buy the taller mounts?He sells some that are a inch taller.
Verified the part numbers they are the normal height mounts.
toasterknight is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 11:51 AM
  #11  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 1,508
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default

Valve and where it is hitting the hood.
Attached Thumbnails Motor mount question?-img_20150927_094803.jpg   Motor mount question?-img_20150927_094807.jpg  
toasterknight is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 11:52 AM
  #12  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 1,508
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default

Motor mounts and trans mount. I plan on replacing the trans mount as well but am waiting on parts so it may be a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails Motor mount question?-img_20150927_094833.jpg   Motor mount question?-img_20150927_094915.jpg   Motor mount question?-img_20150927_094821.jpg  
toasterknight is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 01:40 PM
  #13  
CF Veteran
 
CCKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 8,357
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

That's the wrong fitting in the valve cover. You need the low profile fitting like this:


http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-bwd-engine-crankcase-breather-element-ec242/10434533-P


Edit: If the link won't open, copy it and paste it in your browser window.

Last edited by CCKen; 09-27-2015 at 01:46 PM.
CCKen is offline  
Old 09-27-2015, 01:50 PM
  #14  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 1,508
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default

Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
That's the wrong fitting in the valve cover. You need the low profile fitting like this:


http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-bwd-engine-crankcase-breather-element-ec242/10434533-P


Edit: If the link won't open, copy it and paste it in your browser window.
Well that makes sense. I will see if I can get it locally and replace it.
toasterknight is offline  
Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
JandDGreens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 938
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default

Originally Posted by rgr4475 View Post
I'm assuming you loosened the long bolt going through the rubber part of the mount? Does anyone know what the proper torque for this bolt should be?
No torque setting. The nut they provide will not back off. Just should be snug to were you would start to torque it. I even backed it a half turn from there. I think the other poster is right over time it smooth's out. Mine is hardly noticeable. (might be so used to it also).
JandDGreens is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor mount question?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: