Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vacuum Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Vacuum Questions

I am chasing a what I assume is a vacuum leak.
Try to stay with me.

I blew cigar smoke into the vacuum line that is connected to the canister that was/is in the bumper. The only place I saw smoke was the tube that leads from the other cannister lower in the engine bay on the passenger side that is marked with "Carb Bowl"," Tank", and "Purge" along the fire wall to the air inlet tube after the air filter before the throttle body that does a 180 under the inlet tube.

First question- Would that leak in the hose before the throttle body cause a high idle? If so where can I get a replacement for that tube that does a 180?

Second question- Should there be anything attached to the "Purge" on the second canister that I mentioned?

Third question- Can I shorten the hoses that are on the canister that was in the bumper(now have after market bumper) with out any ill effects?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2016, 06:48 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dakinejb
I am chasing a what I assume is a vacuum leak.
Try to stay with me.

I blew cigar smoke into the vacuum line that is connected to the canister that was/is in the bumper. The only place I saw smoke was the tube that leads from the other cannister lower in the engine bay on the passenger side that is marked with "Carb Bowl"," Tank", and "Purge" along the fire wall to the air inlet tube after the air filter before the throttle body that does a 180 under the inlet tube.

First question- Would that leak in the hose before the throttle body cause a high idle? If so where can I get a replacement for that tube that does a 180?

Second question- Should there be anything attached to the "Purge" on the second canister that I mentioned?

Third question- Can I shorten the hoses that are on the canister that was in the bumper(now have after market bumper) with out any ill effects?

Thanks
I just move the canister to the engine bay.

That little vacuum leak will not cause a high idle on a Renix Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Questions-vac-ball-relocate.jpg   Vacuum Questions-vac-ball-routing.jpg