Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trany not staying in OD

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Trany not staying in OD

OK 1993 4.0 xj with 245000 miles aw4 trany 32x10.5x15 mud tires. i dont know what gearing i have but when the speed odometer says 65 my gps says im doing 70 if that helps you get an idea of my gearing with the 32's.
Problem is it takes a while to shift into third under normal acceleration, sometimes i have to let off the gas a little to get it to shift out of second to third. and my main concern is that when i get up to highway speeds 60 plus i have to let off the gas all the way to get it to shift into overdrive, then at that point its almost impossible to keep it in OD. the slightest push on the peddle at 55 or 60pluse mph and it shifts back into third and wants to stay there. Basically have a hard time keeping it in OD for highway cruising. Other than that the trany does fine and the torque converter kicks in at the right moment in all gears, just sticking in second a little and dosnt want to stay in OD at highway speeds.

OK so far what i have tried. The trany fluid is good i even drained it and filled it back up with the right fluid to the right level. It has a new speed sensor. the kick down cable linkage looks good and i have tried all the adjustment with it such as sliding the little conduit up and locking it then mashing the gas to set it. i have adjusted the conduit manually to all deferent passions. no matter what i do with the kick down cable it dose not seem to affect shifting in any way what so ever. It ideals and runs great so i dont suspect a bad TPS. Could be a trans module issue? From what i have read my jeep dosnt show any symptoms of bad sensors. just shifts late in second and dosnt want to stay in OD unless im really really easy on the gas. anything over 65 or 70 and OD is out of the question unless im going down hill or have a good tail wind lol. I have been driving with the shifter in third most of the time and dont notice a change in gas mileage, but i would really like for it to stay in OD sense i have a long drive on the interstate for work at 70 plus speed limit. If this info helps at all when it hits OD at around 60 its turning about 2000rpm, if i leave it in third at the same speed in turning about 2500 to 2600 rpm

That all said remember i running 32x10.5 mud tread tires but not sure what gearing i have but hope the speed and rpm numbers i gave could help.

Also cruise control dosnt work, haven't trouble shot it yet but i doubt this would have anything to do with it??

Holding up on break peddle dosnt change anything, break switch seems fine by close inspection.

Is this just normal trans operation for stock gearing and 32 inch aggressive tires with 245000 miles!!?lol She runs great and is very solid otherwise.

I am also going to drop the trans pan and replace the filter and gasket, I know thats a good idea at 24500 miles but could this help?

Please any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to attach to this post a pic of this beautiful Jeep. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Trany not staying in OD-jeep.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 01:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Seems somewhat common with oversize tires. That lockup is electronically controlled, based on RPM, speed and throttle position. Those things don't match what it's programmed to expect when the tire size is changed.
TPS might be an issue, even if it seems to be running right.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
Seems somewhat common with oversize tires. That lockup is electronically controlled, based on RPM, speed and throttle position. Those things don't match what it's programmed to expect when the tire size is changed.
TPS might be an issue, even if it seems to be running right.
So should i change the TPS for Sh@ts and giggles? Or is it doing its job?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:44 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tonywayne
So should i change the TPS for Sh@ts and giggles? Or is it doing its job?
YOu could change it.

Try this while you're messing with this issue:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=58
Old 04-11-2016, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Mine didn't run properly with 33x12:50 M/T's till I changes gears and the speedometer gear to match factory spec in my case a 4.56 gear. They solved several issues with my trans.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:15 PM

I replaced the TPS and its shifting perfect now!