Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Temporary Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Lightbulb Temporary Repair Questions

Quick one for ya'll.

Basically I bought a heater control valve from AutoSuck a couple months ago. Started pissing coolant like mad, and of course AutoBalls had no record of any warranty and basically said I was SOL. Oh well... break out the Dremel!

I went ahead and plugged the little vacuum line and just joined each cooresponding heater hose to itself via a coupler. Pic shows what I did.

Temporary Repair Questions-sspx0001.jpg

Obviously for the larger line I used a galvanized steel fitting, which barely fit the line but is snug and not ripping/tearing. Has about 1/2" of coverage over the fitting on each side, which is what the clamp is holding to. The fitting itself is not smooth, and offers resistance to sliding. Is this gonna be ok?

For the second set of smaller hoses, I cut a section of aluminum tubing I had. It is about 1/8" thick around the circumference, with the hoses holding about 1" per side. My question is will the aluminum have any issues with the heat of the coolant or the chemical properties of the coolant itself (standard 50/50 mix).

Thanks yall!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Should work fine but you'll have no temp control. It will either be full hot or nothing.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Programbo
Should work fine but you'll have no temp control. It will either be full hot or nothing.
Not true at all!!

The heater blend air door really controls the heat. The heater control valve is a redundant system to shut coolant OFF to the heater core when the AC is on. I have eliminated the HCV on 3 Jeeps in Arizona and the heat is NOT on all the time. AC works well in summer, too. The factory eliminated the same valve in later years.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Programbo
My heater has a "full hot" option?!?!?!?!?! I thought they only had a "semi-warm" option lol.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Not true at all!!

The heater blend air door really controls the heat. The heater control valve is a redundant system to shut coolant OFF to the heater core when the AC is on. I have eliminated the HCV on 3 Jeeps in Arizona and the heat is NOT on all the time. AC works well in summer, too. The factory eliminated the same valve in later years.

I completely agree. But I would go a head and just replace the hoses when you get a chance. That way you won't have to worry about it leaking. Also I wouldn't even bother to replace heater control valve. You don't need it.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I completely agree. But I would go a head and just replace the hoses when you get a chance. That way you won't have to worry about it leaking. Also I wouldn't even bother to replace heater control valve. You don't need it.
Oh trust me, As soon as I can I'm gonna replace with longer hose. But for now, since the wallet is empty, this is my "im desperate" fix. So the aluminum will have no issue with heat or corrosion?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Not true at all!! The heater blend air door really controls the heat. The heater control valve is a redundant system to shut coolant OFF to the heater core when the AC is on. I have eliminated the HCV on 3 Jeeps in Arizona and the heat is NOT on all the time. AC works well in summer, too. The factory eliminated the same valve in later years.
I did not know this. I stand corrected! Next time I won't be so stressed about repairing that stupid plastic thing before winter comes!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Oh trust me, As soon as I can I'm gonna replace with longer hose. But for now, since the wallet is empty, this is my "im desperate" fix. So the aluminum will have no issue with heat or corrosion?
as long as its galvanized... otherwise yes it will rust rather quickly
Old 12-26-2011, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Your fine with steel and aluminum. They're used in engines all the time. Couldn't say weather or not there might be some sort of electrolytic action with galvanized steel though. I found the OD of copper plumbing pipe fittings works in 5/8 hose.
I seem to remember my 90 getting pretty toasty with some sort of valve issue. Was around 95? they went to the "blend door". Would never want to disagree with Cruiser. (always a bad idea!). Maybe I had/have some other issue with my doors, but both me and the dog there,< didn't care for extra heat on a hot day.