Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

)1 misfiring on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default misfiring on the highway

After driving on the highway for the first time in a few weeks i was running the jeep hard getting up a long hill in the pouring rain. after about a minute the jeep bucked like hell almost like a bad trans slip. at first i thought it was a temporary loss of traction from shifting because of the rain. but it happened multiple times after this. than it did it constantly until the engine stalled out. once i got to the side of the road i turned the key and it started like nothing ever happened.

I noticed that it usually starts doing this around 2000 rpms and rarely does it at anything lower than that. and only once the motor is hot. I ran the codes for it and heres what i got

P0353 Ignition coil c primary/secondary circuit
p0352 ignition coil b prim/sec circuit
p0351 ignition coil a prim/sec circuit

These would mean that the ignition coil pack is bad however there is one last code

p1891 powertrain, upon further research it points to crank and cam sensors

Could only one of these be bad and throwing the other off. Basically just looking for other opinions before i start throwing parts at crap. Im curious if the rain had something to do with it?

Also its an 01 jeep w/ 135k miles

Last edited by travs2448; 09-13-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-14-2015, 10:15 PM

no idears? or no one has had anything similar?
Old 09-15-2015, 05:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I would look at the grounds in the engine compartment and clean them up. I would also take off the coil to see if there are any cracks in it. They do crack over time. Did this happen any other time or only when it was raining?
I just noticed that you have an 01 so there is no coil. You might need to look at the coil pack. but check the grounds first these things get funky when grounds start going. (Where in Sussex County are you?)

Last edited by dans98xj; 09-15-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
I would look at the grounds in the engine compartment and clean them up. I would also take off the coil to see if there are any cracks in it. They do crack over time. Did this happen any other time or only when it was raining?
I just noticed that you have an 01 so there is no coil. You might need to look at the coil pack. but check the grounds first these things get funky when grounds start going. (Where in Sussex County are you?)
This just suddenly happened last Thursday. Which was the first time in a few weeks i had to bring my jeep on the highway, and also the first rain we had in a while. It hasn't happened since than infact my CEL has been off for days now. Probably gonna go for a ride up rt15 tonight to see if she still does it but just at high speeds. And i live in Franklin and work in Wantage. Awesome to have another local here. In fact i think i frequently mix your jeep up for a buddy of mines, who has the same color xj.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:21 PM

So a little update.

Last week i went and replaced the crank sensor. and the jeep ran great for a few days. was running great in all the places it would usually starting acting up. even took it on an hour plus highway drive and not a single issue. Fast forward to the week, im out and about with some friends on the highway and out of nowhere it starts to buck and act up again. even worse than before. Nursing it home was a bigger chore than before. My next try is to replace the ignition coil rail.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:20 AM

Since you are in Sussex county there is a guy in Franklin that parts out jeeps he might have a coil rail rather than going to the dealer. Look on Craigslist I could PM his info if you need it.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
Since you are in Sussex county there is a guy in Franklin that parts out jeeps he might have a coil rail rather than going to the dealer. Look on Craigslist I could PM his info if you need it.
Yeah i got your pm thanks! Ill actually give him a call. Pretty sure he's the guy on munsonhurst rd always selling jeeps
Old 09-23-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by travs2448
Yeah i got your pm thanks! Ill actually give him a call. Pretty sure he's the guy on munsonhurst rd always selling jeeps
yup that's him. I bought a track bar from him for my jeep he is very good to work with.