Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stupid Chrysler Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Stupid Chrysler Wiring

Wasn't sure if i should put this in oem or advanced discussion so sorry if i **** someone off.
Last night when i get home from a buddy's house though i parked the jeep after about a 20 minute drive. No problems. Drove great all electronics worked.

Bout 20 minutes later I walked back outside to grab something and realized that my brake lights were on like the brake pedal was stuck. Also both rear blinkers were on, not blinking just continuous light.

THen when i opened the door it smelled like a camp fire had been burning in there. I disconnected the battery and haven't messed with it since b/c a couple of my buddies jeeps and dodges have caught on fire from wiring crap.

Anyone know what it could be or where to start looking for problems?
Much appreciated
Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by jeepman156
Wasn't sure if i should put this in oem or advanced discussion so sorry if i **** someone off.
Last night when i get home from a buddy's house though i parked the jeep after about a 20 minute drive. No problems. Drove great all electronics worked.

Bout 20 minutes later I walked back outside to grab something and realized that my brake lights were on like the brake pedal was stuck. Also both rear blinkers were on, not blinking just continuous light.

THen when i opened the door it smelled like a camp fire had been burning in there. I disconnected the battery and haven't messed with it since b/c a couple of my buddies jeeps and dodges have caught on fire from wiring crap.

Anyone know what it could be or where to start looking for problems?
Much appreciated
Check the brake lamp switch atop the brake pedal and check the front-to-back wiring harness that supplies the rear lighting - you'll find it behind the driver's side kick panel and under/behind the interior plastic trim on the driver's side.

I'm almost willing to bet that it started with the brake lamp switch - then the wiring heated up and caused the short to the turn indicators (solid illumination, and the short that you smelled.)

Repair/rewire PRN.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 5-90
Check the brake lamp switch atop the brake pedal and check the front-to-back wiring harness that supplies the rear lighting - you'll find it behind the driver's side kick panel and under/behind the interior plastic trim on the driver's side.

I'm almost willing to bet that it started with the brake lamp switch - then the wiring heated up and caused the short to the turn indicators (solid illumination, and the short that you smelled.)

Repair/rewire PRN.

On top of that the wiring to the fuse box is ****. Check the fuses to see if any are melted but not blown. I am replacing my panel with a heavy duty general one we commonly use on robots.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Aright, thanks guys. Let you know if that works.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by drakesword
On top of that the wiring to the fuse box is ****. Check the fuses to see if any are melted but not blown. I am replacing my panel with a heavy duty general one we commonly use on robots.
Got particulars on what you're going to use? I've always been partial to Delphi automotive electrics, but I'm always willing to be convinced...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by 5-90
Got particulars on what you're going to use? I've always been partial to Delphi automotive electrics, but I'm always willing to be convinced...
buss atc fuse panel

If you type that into google shopping you will find em.

Got 2 8 position one for accessory one for on and 1 16 position for everything else
Old 02-10-2011, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by drakesword
buss atc fuse panel

If you type that into google shopping you will find em.

Got 2 8 position one for accessory one for on and 1 16 position for everything else
Two rows? Sounds like the ones I carry - although I go from a six-place (2x3) to a twelve-place (2x6) - I haven't had anyone show a need for anything larger yet...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 PM

replaced the brake light switch and it seems to have fixed it for now. Thanks guys