Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeep still won't start

So there is fuel running to the front, there is spark between the spark plugs. A week ago I did a tune up on it, I replaced the ignition coil, spark plugs, wires, serpentine belt. The ignition coil pigtail, I broke the clip on it, so I took electrical tape and wrapped it around the clip to hold it down. The truck stalled out in a mud field, I had another forum member who lives relatively close to me push my jeep with his out of the field, we used die electrical grease and zip ties to hold the pigtail on the ignition coil, I drove it back home, hit a set of tracks, it bumped off the connection, I tried to reajust, still didn't work, went home, cut the pigtail from my 96 jeep and brought it back to the 97, hooked it up and drove it home, went out the next day and scrapped some metal, was driving back home , hit some train tracks it stalled again. Had it towed home, I replaced the crankshaft sensor, won't start still. My friend suggests the pigtail wire might be fried all the way to wherever it goes, it might need to be replaced. I cut back 1 foot of wire, replaced with new wire, connected the pigtail, still won't budge. I cleaned the battery terminals, still no luck. I switched the autozone ignition coil for my 96 ignition coil which is a demon coil, still no luck, I put the demon back in the 96, reconnected the pigtail and the 96 starts right up, so I know the coil is good, and the pigtail is good. I even replaced the crankshaft sensor still no start. Anyone have any good ideas? If anyone lives in il and wants to make $200 easy help me out and get it running, I'll buy whatever it needs and pay you cash on spot
Old 09-06-2015, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

That's a lot of times to have it stalling and replacing wires and plugs. I am thinking at some point something else must have shorted out. You said you have fuel and spark...Is it enough fuel? Try spraying starting fluid in the intake and see if it starts for a moment. Any codes showing up?
Old 03-21-2020, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Check the wires running from transmition. Also unplug wire harness from fire wall and check all wires for corosion .........
Old 03-28-2020, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Smile

I had a similar problem with my 94 Cherokee with 4L ENG. It would start, run fine at lower speeds, but would hesitate or lag at higher speeds. Also, if I turned the engine off after it heated up and tried to start a few minutes later, it would rotate but not start. Once it cooled down it would start no problem. I changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor (They were overdue any way), coil and crank sensor, but no joy. Then, after reviewing T/S section of manual and a tip from a Friend, I bought a fuel pressure gauge and checked the fuel pressure. It read 22-24 psi instead of the 31-39 psi specified pressure. The low fuel pressure explained the hesitation at higher speeds. I think the no start of hot engine resulted from vapor lock. The boiling point of any liquid is relative to its pressure. I believe the engine heat caused the low pressure fuel in the line to boil, creating vapor lock. Once the engine cooled down, the fuel was no longer above boiling point and the weak/low pressure pump was able to supply enough fuel to start the engine. I changed the fuel pump and it ran fine. Sorry if the description was to long but I wanted to give enough background info so you could determine if my situation matched up enough with yours. Whatever the problem is I hope you got it fixed. I just noticed this post is over 4 years old, but I'm posting anyway because it might help some other people.
The following 3 users liked this post by kenf15:
BrandyF (06-14-2020), gosser66 (04-09-2024), ijeeep (03-28-2021)