Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors
Question storage?

hey guys, im leaveing in three months for the airforce basic training. i will be gone for atleast 6-10 months. after then i will be able to bring my jeep with me. i love this thing to death and i put my blood, sweat and tears into it, as well as over a couple grand. i dont want to sell it. but i know its not good for it to sit for long periods of time. its going to stay in my driveway back at home. are there any storage methods or ideas that you guys have? i figured put a cover over it (i dont have a garage) to protect it from the outside but what about the engine? im not really sure as of how to go about doing all of this. any ideas are greatly appreciated.
thankyou!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Stabil the gas, and make sure that cover is semi-breathable. You don't want it to trap moisture under the cover. Make sure there isn't tons of gas left, either. The less the better, but make sure to use stabil either way. Use a full tank of fresh fuel when you wake her up again.

Change fluids when you pull her out of storage. If you can put jack stands under the axles so the tires aren't on the ground.

Pull the battery and keep it in a room temp, dry place, with a 2 amp trickle charger on it. It may still come up dead depending on the battery condition, but you never know.

Other than that there isn't much else I'd do. These are things I typically do with my motorcycle over winter.

Maybe others will have more suggestions.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Stabil the gas, and make sure that cover is semi-breathable. You don't want it to trap moisture under the cover. Make sure there isn't tons of gas left, either. The less the better, but make sure to use stabil either way. Use a full tank of fresh fuel when you wake her up again.
Funny I would always store with a full tank of petrol with stabiliser. Stops water condensing on the inside of the tank... don't ask me where the water comes from though lol
Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

It comes from condensation. I spose thats a good idea, but my experience comes with storing a sportbike, and no matter how much stabil is used, the gas is still garbage for me in spring. I don't wanna **** away an entire tank, and I don't wanna run crap gas through my bike, so I try to keep as little left as possible.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I wouldn't leave it sitting on the tires they'll flat-spot. Put it on jack-stands or similar.
Since you're leaving it outdoors, I'd sprinkle cayenne pepper on the wiring under the hood to deter squirrels and other critters from making themselves at home there and chewing up the wiring while it's sitting.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

agreed about stabil. Another thing you might want to consider: secure it. It would suck for anything to happen to it while you are in basic training.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee

Change fluids when you pull her out of storage. If you can put jack stands under the axles so the tires aren't on the ground.

Pull the battery and keep it in a room temp, dry place, with a 2 amp trickle charger on it. It may still come up dead depending on the battery condition, but you never know.

Other than that there isn't much else I'd do. These are things I typically do with my motorcycle over winter.

Maybe others will have more suggestions.

x2. When I was in AK and went to Iraq for 17 months, I did all of the above with a few exceptions. I filled my up my fuel tank and put stabil in it. Siphoned it out when I got back and put new go-juice in. I also put a few mothballs in the end of the tail pipe and a few in the air cleaner. That was recommended to me by a buddy. That'll help persuade any furry creatures looking for a home to stay out. Good luck in Basic.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors

thanks guys for the help! where can i get stabil? at any random auto parts store?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 AM

Engine: I6

When I stored my 86 Camaro for a year I did the following:

Quality car cover
Stabil in the fuel, but run a few minutes to get it through the lines
A drop or two of oil down each cylinder with new never used plugs in place
Damp Rid in each rear seat floor pan area and one in the trunk
Battery in garage on a battery tender on a piece of wood to keep it off the floor
Moth ***** in the battery tray and under/around the car to deter mice and snakes
Remove all items not necessary. I took out all items from the glove box, no floor mats (did not want to trap moisture under) and I washed, waxed and vacuumed it really good.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:40 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

stabil can be found in any auto parts store
i would just leave a little gas in the tank, and put some in. Then when you come back fill the tank with good gas before starting it. I would not store with a full tank of gas because you have no room to add new gas.