Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stupid beginner questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Stupid beginner questions

My new-to-me '99 Cherokee came without an owner's manual and, as far as I can tell, without a jack (unless it's in a hidden storage location somewhere). There is what appears to be a foldable crank for working a jack laying in the back.

So where does the jack normally stow? Does it go on the hook that holds the spare tire? Doing web searches I'm seeing both bottle and scissor type jacks, what is the correct one for this vehicle? Where are the jacking points?

Also, was there a cargo cover available for the back area to keep stuff hidden? (The AMC Eagle wagon this replaced had a window-shade type arrangement for that. I don't see an obvious place to put anything similar here.)
Old 09-22-2015, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It should be under the rear seat. The seat bottom flips forward.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

there's space for a mechanical screw-type bottle jack under the rear bench, passenger side
Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 PM

Thanks, I'll check under there in the morning to see if the jack is stowed there.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output

A retractable tonneau cover was a *rare* option for early XJ's and few have survived. If you can find one on ebay or in a junkyard more power to you. If you look in your cargo area you can see the cutouts and mounting spots for it.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

The jack points are located on the frame rail in front right before the curved section behind the tire, the rear also on the straight section close to the rear tire.

BTW I guess you did know the 99 XJ's were the most desirable year of them all. The very best of all the older ones with and newest additions and none of the problems like with the 00/01 XJ's have.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Welcome to the forum!

The jack points are located on the frame rail in front right before the curved section behind the tire, the rear also on the straight section close to the rear tire.

BTW I guess you did know the 99 XJ's were the most desirable year of them all. The very best of all the older ones with and newest additions and none of the problems like with the 00/01 XJ's have.

Name:  so_say_we_all1.gif
Views: 62
Size:  878.4 KB
Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Default Yep

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Welcome to the forum!

There should be rectangular "Cutouts" along this rail Fred mentions that the factory jack fits into to prevent it from slipping.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:15 AM

Thanks guys - I looked under the seat and the bracket to hold the jack down is there, but no jack. I'll have to get one at a junkyard or eBay. Actually a hydraulic bottle jack would probably be a nice upgrade but I haven't seen any that have the same kind of platform with "ears" sticking up on them like the factory jack. There's enough of the jacking instructions sticker left that I can see it shows using the jack on the axle tubes.

I didn't know when I bought this that '99 was the most desirable year, it was just dumb luck on my part. I was just looking for something decent and not too expensive that I could pick up and get sorted out before the bad weather arrives.

Fortunately this one needed minimal sorting out. I just got done painting the bumpers and aux light support, with that and the bedliner sprayed on the fender flares it's actually looking pretty sharp! I'd also like to add lower door moldings that I've seen on some Cherokees mainly so the rusty/fiberglassed lower area on the front passenger door is covered up. I'll have to keep an eye out in the junkyards. (I assume they're glued on or use double-stick tape.)

Last thing that needs to be done is to install the replacement rear wiper motor I picked up. I started another thread for my other stupid question of how to get the inner plastic panel off the tailgate. After removing screws and pull handle there is still "something" holding it in place and I don't want to break it by forcing too hard.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Default Worm drive

Originally Posted by Rambler65
Thanks guys - I looked under the seat and the bracket to hold the jack down is there, but no jack. I'll have to get one at a junkyard or eBay. Actually a hydraulic bottle jack would probably be a nice upgrade but I haven't seen any that have the same kind of platform with "ears" sticking up on them like the factory jack. There's enough of the jacking instructions sticker left that I can see it shows using the jack on the axle tubes.

I didn't know when I bought this that '99 was the most desirable year, it was just dumb luck on my part. I was just looking for something decent and not too expensive that I could pick up and get sorted out before the bad weather arrives.

Fortunately this one needed minimal sorting out. I just got done painting the bumpers and aux light support, with that and the bedliner sprayed on the fender flares it's actually looking pretty sharp! I'd also like to add lower door moldings that I've seen on some Cherokees mainly so the rusty/fiberglassed lower area on the front passenger door is covered up. I'll have to keep an eye out in the junkyards. (I assume they're glued on or use double-stick tape.)

Last thing that needs to be done is to install the replacement rear wiper motor I picked up. I started another thread for my other stupid question of how to get the inner plastic panel off the tailgate. After removing screws and pull handle there is still "something" holding it in place and I don't want to break it by forcing too hard.

Then it probably had a worm drive jack that looks similar to a Bottle Jack, mine was missing also when I got it. A real Bottle jack is not a bad idea
Old 09-23-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Then it probably had a worm drive jack that looks similar to a Bottle Jack, mine was missing also when I got it. A real Bottle jack is not a bad idea
Yes, that's the type. I've seen them on eBay. The problem is that every hydraulic bottle jack I've seen only has a small flat top on the piston and that's not going to be stable lifting on the axle tube.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Yes, that's the type. I've seen them on eBay. The problem is that every hydraulic bottle jack I've seen only has a small flat top on the piston and that's not going to be stable lifting on the axle tube.
The factory bottle jack has a small up turned section on two edges to cup the axle.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

I keep one of these on board among other things.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-2-To...-Jack/33348135
Old 09-23-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by toasterknight
The factory bottle jack has a small up turned section on two edges to cup the axle.
I'm surprised no one sells a real bottle jack like that, it's a pretty obviously useful thing for lifting up on axles or even frame rails. Never seen one though. (I guess that doesn't mean they're not out there somewhere.)
Old 09-23-2015, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

I'm surprised no one sells a real bottle jack like that, it's a pretty obviously useful thing for lifting up on axles or even frame rails. Never seen one though. (I guess that doesn't mean they're not out there somewhere.)
Might be able to find one in a junk yard. Mines a 99.

Quick Reply: Stupid beginner questions