Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear storage for both / and w/o rear seats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rear storage for both w/ and w/o rear seats?

Greetings from this Dartmouth MA NOOB,

I've searched, and although I've found many threads re XJ storage I have not found exactly what I am looking for. Just bought a 2000 XJ, removed the rear seats to maximize room for tools and "stuff".

I'm planning to build some storage shelves/drawers/etc. to accommodate both fishing gear and tools (different set ups for each application).

Although I will be driving solo 95% of the time, out-of-town fishing friends visit from time to time to chase striped bass together.

Can any of you point me to a thread (or provide any guidance) for building what I will call "multi-part" storage that will readily allow for both with and without rear seats?

Many thanks in advance for both your help and you patience with a NOOB!

Last edited by Southcoastphil; 05-14-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

Are you planning on building a rack to fill the cargo area AND take the place of the backseat (as in removing the backseat from the vehicle), or building a rack that only takes up the cargo area so you can still fold the backseat down? If you remove the backseat and need it later (for fishing buddies), that just seems like a lot of work to put it back. I would build a rack to fit the cargo area and keep the backseat, and just fold the backseat down when needed. ???

Or you could replace the backseat with a 40/60 split from a ZJ (ive never done it but i hear its doable). Fold one side down for gear and leave the other side up for an extra passenger.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 05-14-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I found a link to some blog where they show the 60/40 GC rear seats installed in an XJ:

http://andecline.blogspot.com/2013/0...onversion.html

What about ditching the rear seat altogether and throwing in a bench from an MJ? You'd have to relocate the parking brake, but then you'd have that extra middle seat for passengers to be uncomfortable in.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

I spent the last year researching the exact same thing for my XJ. Sometimes I use it a lone, some times I have the kids with me. So I wanted something that would work in different configurations. I have spent way too many hours searching google images and forum posts and looking at every existing idea I could find.

In the end, I did not find one idea that I thought did not waste too much internal space due to the structure itself. Space, that in the XJ, is at a premium.

In the end I decided not to build anything additional, but to instead I spent some time finding the appropriately sized storage bins that would be about 15" wide, 29" long, and from 5-9" deep so that I could carry 3 of them in the rear with the rear seat up. 1 box for parts, 1 box for recovery and safety gear, and 1 box for tools. They are flat and low, so that when they are in, I can continue to use the rear storage area as normal for additional items (camping gear, wood, water, coolers, etc.). They are also covered with dark cargo blankets, so that they are completely invisible to folks walking by the vehicle in parking lots. Basically creates a "false floor".

The nice thing is I can remove them if need be. But when I did solo vehicle camping, I was able to just stack them inside, which still left room for me to sleep with my head at the back of the front passenger seat with feet extended towards the rear driver side behind the spare tire. The bins (when stacked) also created little shelf-like areas that I could put small items such as phone, keys, glasses, chargers, water bottles, etc. while I slept.

I've pretty much ruled out building something at this point. If you decide to go that route, consider how much space and weight is being wasted by the wood itself (its A LOT more than it seems, so the functionality better be worth it).

Last edited by jordan96xj; 05-14-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 05-14-2018, 06:38 PM
Seasoned Member

That's what I came up with for a false bottom storage for my tools. Its bolted through the floor and has a lock on it.

As for storage with the seats down I would use milk crates so you can also remove it easily if you have more passengers
Old 05-14-2018, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Very, very nice, BlackXJay!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Thank you for your help, mates!

I have already removed the back seat pieces, which was amazingly quick to do, so I plan to leave them out 95+% of the time to maximize storage space.

I like the idea of the split seat, but that will have to wait until I take care of some some body rust and painting.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:53 AM

Just found this article, which is a bit closer to what I had in mind. Since I do not care for the lack of rear visibility, something like this, but in two pieces might work.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/st...r-seat-243310/
Old 05-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Very, very nice, BlackXJay!
Thank you! Works for me. Just make sure to bolt anything down and have a lock on it. You dont want a 20 pound tool hitting you in the head in the event of an accident.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BlackXJay
Thank you! Works for me. Just make sure to bolt anything down and have a lock on it. You dont want a 20 pound tool hitting you in the head in the event of an accident.

You got that right! Even a combination wrench would hurt at 50 MPH.