Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Door Locks Won't Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Power Door Locks Won't Lock

2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ
108,000 miles
4 Door

I hate to start yet another power accessories thread, but I have read tons of threads on here (and learned a lot) but I need a little guidance on the next steps and I am not finding my situation described.

Problem: Only the Door LOCK switches don't work (either side). Here's the kicker, the Jeep remote entry will cycle the locks.

I have replaced both front switches and they are known good. (For 20 glorious minutes today everything worked the way it was supposed for the first time since buying it, just out of nowhere)

I have tested the continuity from the switch connectors through the door jams to their respective areas and I have complete continuity (so no broken wires in the door jams at least).

I have crimped the connectors going to the door control modules so that each wire has a good connection to the modules.

At this point I am kind of at a loss as to what to check next. With the 20 glorious minutes mentioned above, I think I can rule out fuses. I think I am most confused as to why the remote entry works, but not the switches.

Does anyone know where the wires from the remote entry module in the dome light join the loom? What other type of wire testing can I perform to locate the bad wire? I am not very good with a voltage meter, but I am learning to try and fix the issue. Also along those lines, are there specific circuits that I can try to do continuity or voltage tests on that could lead to the culprit? Use a wire to jump the orange/purple wire to something else?

I really don't want to let this beat me. At this point this is more of a personal Man challenge than anything as my wife just uses the fob, but I want the thing to work! Plus if I figure it out, maybe I'll be able to figure out the exact same issue (minus the remote start) on my 97XJ.