Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Seats/Door Locks don't work 91 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Power Seats/Door Locks don't work 91 Cherokee

Neither the power seats nor the power door locks work.
I have no 12v at the connector under the seats. It allegedly gets its power from the 30Amp circuit breaker in cavity 6 on the Fuse Panel. Its supposed to be hot all the time but ISN'T. I replaced the breaker anyway. While I had it out I checked both terminals and didn't get ANY voltage at all. Where is it supposed to come from?
I took a picture of my fuse block in case anyone can see anything amiss. The green breaker is the new one.
The red wire was added from a previous owner and goes thru the firewall to end in no connection by the battery. Its not connected to anything on the inside.
Thanks in advance for any help.

91 Cherokee Limited Fuse panel
Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 AM

Year: 96
Model: Cherokee

Anyone have a picture of the backside of the fuse block?
Old 10-19-2018, 02:55 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Power Seats/Door Locks don't work 91 Cherokee

Note that the top line indicates #11 is the power seat breaker.

My manual's numbering of the fuses and breakers.

My panel looks identical to yours, located up and to the left of the brake pedal.

GASSER,

I am the original owner a 91 Limited with the same problem. Yours is one of many threads that deal with this apparently common problem, but nobody seems to have a solution yet. My original manual indicates that breaker #11 (next to MY mystery red wire) controls the seats, locks and trailer connection, rather than #16, which it indicates controls the power windows. I hope my attachments come through in a readable form. I haven't checked my trailer connection, but my locks work when #11 is in, and don't function when it is out, so I conclude that #11 is the right breaker and that it functions properly. Since your locks don't work maybe switching your relays (#16 for #11) might show it's the breaker that's causing the problem. Since my locks work, I'm pretty sure that somehow a connection has come undone under the carpet, but removing the carpet is a real task, involving removing seats, seat belts, and the console. Does anyone have a diagram of the wiring harness with power seats, or even better, a picture of the wiring after removing the carpet--which I understand is not that uncommon back east where it actually rains. I'd like to pinpoint the wiring location before ripping up the interior.