Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OBDII Code Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech
Default OBDII Code Questions

I've looked so forgive me if my search-skills are lacking but I have two questions I haven't found answers to. 1. Does OBDII retain codes after a problem has been corrected? and 2. Is there a way to reset the codes without going to the dealership? I just bought this '98 XJ and would like to start from a zero-code condition so that I know any codes I do pull are accurate. TIA.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:28 PM

you can disconnect the battery or go to your local autozone and have them use their scanner to reset the the ecu if you dont have a reader of your own.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Warlordlarry
you can disconnect the battery or go to your local autozone and have them use their scanner to reset the the ecu if you dont have a reader of your own.
Before you clear anything you should see if it has any stored codes. Like Warlord said AutoZone or any other big chain store will read them for free. If they do pull any codes write down the codes and post them on here and someone will come along and let you know what they mean.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

I keep it in the back of the Jeep at all time. Best $20 ever spent on a tool.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

I bought this scanner. Best $75 i ever spent. No more driving to the store to ask for codes and what not. Thing even shows live data.

INNOVA 3040 OBD2 Scan Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive INNOVA 3040 OBD2 Scan Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ThatAintStock00
Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

I keep it in the back of the Jeep at all time. Best $20 ever spent on a tool.
I was looking at that one myself. But since it was under $20 I didn't know if it would be worth buying. But, It sounds like that you are satisfied with it. Does it work well enough to pull and clear the codes as do the more pricey reader do? Also did it come with everything that you need for it?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by HudsonN
I bought this scanner. Best $75 i ever spent. No more driving to the store to ask for codes and what not. Thing even shows live data.

INNOVA 3040 OBD2 Scan Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive
I've got the Innova 3040 as well. An excellent scan tool. Can read codes AND live data!

I agree that it's the best $75 you can spend. Invaluable.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

Thank you for the responses. I went to Autozone last week for tune up stuff and had them read it at that time. The kid printed off three codes...P0118, P0700, P0753... which I have looked up thanks to another poster on this site. The kid also said he couldn't reset them but maybe he was just inexperienced(?). I'll try tomorrow when the manager is working. I'll also look for the scanners recommended above. $20-75 for good diagnostic tools isn't much if they keep you from being stranded. An ounce of prevention is worth...a three mile hike out of the desert.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:53 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I was looking at that one myself. But since it was under $20 I didn't know if it would be worth buying. But, It sounds like that you are satisfied with it. Does it work well enough to pull and clear the codes as do the more pricey reader do? Also did it come with everything that you need for it?
Works perfect. It does not read live data like the other one posted, but that's why I have a laptop. I bought this just to use anytime when that little light pops on; which it RARELY does. It is a basic reader that plugs in, tells you the issue, and will clear the data. Has all codes listed in it's manual, and has a CD with even more codes.

Plug it in, turn the key, press enter, read the code, look up code in book, clear, turn key off, have a sandwich and beverage. Just wish it made said sandwich and beverage for me.....

Also, most autoparts will NOT reset the codes for you anymore due to legal obligations, at least that's what I was told around here. Just ask to hold the machine for a moment, and clear it yourself.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ThatAintStock00
Works perfect. It does not read live data like the other one posted, but that's why I have a laptop. I bought this just to use anytime when that little light pops on; which it RARELY does. It is a basic reader that plugs in, tells you the issue, and will clear the data. Has all codes listed in it's manual, and has a CD with even more codes.

Plug it in, turn the key, press enter, read the code, look up code in book, clear, turn key off, have a sandwich and beverage. Just wish it made said sandwich and beverage for me.....

Also, most autoparts will NOT reset the codes for you anymore due to legal obligations, at least that's what I was told around here. Just ask to hold the machine for a moment, and clear it yourself.
Thanks! That all I want for now or can afford for now, Just the basic will be good enough for now. Thanks again for the feedback.