Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NSS advice (broken Adjustment bolt)

Old 02-19-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO4.0 I6
Default NSS advice (broken Adjustment bolt)

So I had every attention to take my NSS down and clean it up due to having no Reverse lights and some starting issues.

Went underneath to take off the 12mm broke and the head snapped off the bolt. I didn't do anything after that happened besides take a shot of whiskey.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to continue this project. Called a Tranny shop to see what it would cost to pull the trans and one shop said that he would look to secure it another way before I had to pull the trans.

What are my options? I really want to get in there and clean it, but with my luck I won't even be able to get it off with my luck. Let me know what you guys would do in my position.

(I feel mechanically inclined but just not equipped to deal with pulling the tranny.)
Old 02-19-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by xj guy
So I had every attention to take my NSS down and clean it up due to having no Reverse lights and some starting issues.

Went underneath to take off the 12mm broke and the head snapped off the bolt. I didn't do anything after that happened besides take a shot of whiskey.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to continue this project. Called a Tranny shop to see what it would cost to pull the trans and one shop said that he would look to secure it another way before I had to pull the trans.

What are my options? I really want to get in there and clean it, but with my luck I won't even be able to get it off with my luck. Let me know what you guys would do in my position.

(I feel mechanically inclined but just not equipped to deal with pulling the tranny.)
Can you get the NSS off with the head of the bolt now gone? If so, take it off and that will leave you with the rest of the bolt exposed. You can weld a nut on the end of it and use that to unscrew it. Bathe it in PB blaster and use heat as well if needed to get it off.

If you don't have access to a welder, you can always try bolt extractors using PB blaster and heat as well.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 PM

I didn't try to get the NSS of the remainder of the stud in fear of not being able to secure it again.

Thinking about it now, it should still come off correct? As in the bolt does not thread onto the NSS just the tranny? If I can get the NSS off I would probably have a good shot of getting that bolt out and replacing it with new hardware.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I didn't try to get the NSS of the remainder of the stud in fear of not being able to secure it again. Thinking about it now, it should still come off correct? As in the bolt does not thread onto the NSS just the tranny? If I can get the NSS off I would probably have a good shot of getting that bolt out and replacing it with new hardware.
you broke the retaining bolt or the big nut?
Old 02-20-2016, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by XJwonders
If it's both that ain't good.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
I broke the retaining bolt. The but that is hand tight in there is still perfect.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 AM

I broke the retaining bolt. The but that is hand tight in there is still perfect.
At least as far as I know. With my luck I am going to shatter that one as well lol