Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Maaco?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Maaco?

Any experiences good or bad?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you get what you pay for. there's a reason good paint jobs that last cost a couple grand.

my mom got one a while back, lasted about a year before rust came back, and 2 yrs looked like it did before. and it wasn't a rust bucket truck. minor rocker rust. whole paint job looked cheap from the beginning.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I could do just as good a job as Macco in my driveway.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
I could do just as good a job as Macco in my driveway.
actually better, cuz you might care a little
Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

I had a couple experiences back in my Honda days with Maaco. I had them do a fender for my prelude in the factory satin silver color and they did a great job matching the color and it looked very nice upon completion. Onlt issue was that it was especially easy to chip when rocks, pebbles, or road debris hit it. All in all, got what I paid for there. Another experience was when I was having a spoiler done for a Civic in the same color and it came back practially gunmetal grey! I had them redo it and the top of the spoiler looked great, but the underside was all swirly and the metalflake was spotty too. Finally after a second redo they got it right, and it actually held up a bit better, maybe cause it was resprayed so many times... You certainly get what you pay for there, and they often have a slow turn around on getting your junk done...
Old 03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Seasoned Member

+1 om the chipping, my buddy took a civic there and paid 1600 dollars for bodywork and paint, just minor dents and scratches,,, and on the hood you can clearly see i high spot same with the door, also overspray on the rims and they paint over the key holes.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 H.O. I6

Must just be the specific store your going to, I havent had any problems so far, its true you do get what you pay for, but if you want it to be cheaper, do the body work yourself ahead of time, thats where they try to take your money is on the labor for body work! they painted this mustang for me for $1200 and i thought it looked great, but we fixed all the rust spots our selves, sanded most of the car down, then took it to them and just picked a color we liked and had them spray it.

oh and if you wanna see an emaculate $10k body work and paint job, heres my dads 70 chevelle ss 396, its not maaco though, this was done by bob, at wonder lake auto body in Hebron, IL, he specializes in restoring rods and classics.

Last edited by BigCountry96; 03-08-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

If you do all the prep work yourself and have them just spray it. You'll be happy, other wise find a better shop to do your paint. Also check out the other work that Macco has done, some shops are better than others.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BigCountry96
Must just be the specific store your going to, I havent had any problems so far, its true you do get what you pay for, but if you want it to be cheaper, do the body work yourself ahead of time, thats where they try to take your money is on the labor for body work! they painted this mustang for me for $1200 and i thought it looked great, but we fixed all the rust spots our selves, sanded most of the car down, then took it to them and just picked a color we liked and had them spray it.

oh and if you wanna see an emaculate $10k body work and paint job, heres my dads 70 chevelle ss 396, its not maaco though, this was done by bob, at wonder lake auto body in Hebron, IL, he specializes in restoring rods and classics.

nice cars, that chevelle is saweeeet. hebron isn't ver far from me i don't think
Old 03-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Maaco did my SRT-4. The paint was pretty crappy. didnt take long before my front bumper was covered in little rock chips all over. had to touch it up with 2 pens. The body work was okay on the outside, but when you look at the hidden stuff, they took alot of shortcuts and just covered it up.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Year: 1990 laredo

my friend's dad has a body shop and does really good work at good prices. He did my front bumper repaint. I had him mold a set of aftermarket splitters to the bottom of it to make it appear one piece and repaint it- 200 bucks and it looked mint. Other shops were quoting me 3-400 bucks for paint alone and I would have to install the splitters with no "molded look". I might have a BMW but I didn't get it from overspending.

if anyone in NWI/ Chicagoland wants good work done at a reasonable price PM me for his number. He has a large pole barn just for auto body work on his property where he performs all the work evenings and weekends- I still had my bumper back in less than 7 days. He has pro equipment and it shows in his final product. He also has a frame machine, good guy to know.

The paint is hard and after several months of hard driving and 80-90mph highway dashes there were no chips. that is the important thing to me. I need to replace the bumper though, hit a curb.

Last edited by cherokee4meplz; 03-08-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Year: 1990 laredo

of course you are only going to look as good as the piece you are painting- if you take a painter something and tell them the only thing you care about is the price you may not like what you get. I've got a silver car like the black one above that I am having him paint this spring- I'll post a pic or two of that one once it's done too.

I guess my point to people that are not local is that you can find people to do better work than maaco, and cheaper. My guy does old hot rod restos too, his son is doing a grand national right now.

nice 5.0 BTW- I had a couple 5.0 fox body convertibles in my younger years.

Last edited by cherokee4meplz; 03-08-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 6

My opinion is they are a shat hole.......

Her is the way they are.. You do the body work they wont give you a warranty. No matter what, it will be your fault because you did the prep work..

There paint is one of the lowest grade paints on the market. Even though they say they use quality paint ( ppg)

Been there done that sold the car after they painted it 3 times. If you are looking to get some color on your car and dont really care how long it will last then do it.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Hot Rod Magazine did a project Nova a few years back and an outfit similar to Maaco paint it. Car turned out pretty good.

Do all the prep work yourself and remove as much stuff as you can. If you dont I hear that these quick type body shops will wash the vehicle in commet to scuff the paint up and just paint it. What do you expect for $400.

Macco paints more cars a day than a normal shop and there paint work should be pretty good since that is what they mostly do.

Anybody know if you can buy your own paint (like PPG) and bring it into Maaco and pay them to shoot the car?