Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

LOTS of Smoke Out of Valve Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default LOTS of Smoke Out of Valve Cover

LOTS! I just bought a 90 2.5L 5speed 2WD SWB Comanche. Paid $400 for it and hauled it home on the trailer. PO parked it 2 years ago when the radiator failed, overheated, and he had it towed to the house. Been sitting since. I threw a radiator in it and jumped it. Started right up and ran ok-ish. The rubber 90 on the front of the valve cover is cracked and spewing smoke at idle. I gave it a few minutes to clear up, but it never did. I drove it down the street and back. Parked it in the driveway and smoke was billowing out from under the hood. Popped the hood and there is oil all over the top of the engine. Looks like it was spewing out of the rubber 90 on the front of the valve cover.

I assume it's excessive blow-by from worn rings. Are there any other options? I would love for it to be something cheap and easy. I'd like to get some miles out of this motor. I didn't check the CCV line at the back of the valve cover. It may be plugged, but I can't imagine that would account for this much oil/smoke. Could it?

I am just scratching the surface on this truck. I will dive into it as time permits. Any pointers? I would LOVE if it could be something simple. Not rebuilding this engine, will yank it and do a motor swap. Hoping to put that off a year or two though.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

1. Replace valve cover.

2. Replace CCV hoses/grommets. All of it. If memory serves me, you can get the entire shooting match for around $50. Napa, online, other sources.

3. Perform a simple compression test on all cylinders. The spec is 120-150 psi with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders. This test is a very good "snapshot in time" on the internal condition of the engine.

Last edited by tjwalker; 09-23-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

How can the valve cover cause smoke to billow from the broken fitting going to the air filter housing?

I replaced the entire CCV on my 90 XJ for maybe $15 on Rock Auto. I'll put a new one on and see if that makes a difference. Will also have to replace the rubber 90 going to the air filter hosing. I am not where to buy that though. Have had trouble finding that in the past.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That's compression gases blowing past the piston rings and carrying oil with it.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:02 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, I figured as much. I was hoping someone would tell me it's no big deal and a $5 fix. I guess the next question is can I get some more miles out of this engine? I'm thinking verify the CCV line is not plugged, replace the breather pipe assembly on the front of the valve cover to the air filter housing, and install a catch can between the valve cover and air filter housing. Any other tricks to reduce the smoking? Thicker oil? Oil additives? This is an extra vehicle for putting around town. I would like to get some life out of it if I can. Not relying on this truck to get me to work. Thanks all.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Yeah, I figured as much. I was hoping someone would tell me it's no big deal and a $5 fix. I guess the next question is can I get some more miles out of this engine? I'm thinking verify the CCV line is not plugged, replace the breather pipe assembly on the front of the valve cover to the air filter housing, and install a catch can between the valve cover and air filter housing. Any other tricks to reduce the smoking? Thicker oil? Oil additives? This is an extra vehicle for putting around town. I would like to get some life out of it if I can. Not relying on this truck to get me to work. Thanks all.

Make sure the CCV system is good and do a dry/wet compression test.