Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

About to buy an old XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Ccw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default About to buy an old XJ

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and to jeeps in general. However through reading on this site and other research, I've fallen in love with the style already. (First I wanted a pathfinder, then a 4runner, but the xj just seems so much more fun.)

I want to get one for daily driving and to access mountain roads I can't drive in my subaru. The appeal of doing my own maintainance is strong, however I don't have any experience in vehicle repair or maintainance. I work with mechanics though and feel confident in my ability to learn the ins and outs of an old vehicle with their support.

So after weeks of browsing local listings, I've found the perfect xj for the perfect price (I think). It's a 1994, mileage 220k, with only two previous owners who seem to have taken great care of it. Looks clean, highway safe, and it's stock. Owned by a grandpa for the last 100k miles.

Am I crazy for wanting to buy this vehicle? Or am I likely to have a good experience (as long as I take care of the preventative maintainance described in depth on this forum)?

Old 09-20-2018, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

If you want to be talked OUT of it, you have probably come to the wrong place. lol.

At least from the outside, that XJ appears to be in very good shape. A few years ago, many would claim those miles are a little high, but you don't hear that as much these days as nice-shape XJs are getting harder to find with low miles.

XJs have a relatively extensive reputation for being easy and affordable to work on, hence their popularity among young and old off-roaders alike. Parts availability and pricing is still shockingly good for these vehicles. For example, I just bought brake calipers (in-stock) at my local parts store for $20. My personal reason for thinking that they are "easy" to work on is because the system and mechanical design of the vehicle is relatively basic by today's standards. So if you are willing to crack a manual, many of the systems are fairly easy to troubleshoot. I think what frustrates most folks, is that in a 25 year old vehicle you are going to have electrical problems. Guaranteed. Many people just give up when it comes to electrical, instead of spending 1-2 months educating themselves on the use of a multimeter, test lamp, and the basic workings of circuits and 12 DC electronics.

Go for it. Even if you don't fall head over heals in love with the XJ scene, you won't be out much, and can probably sell it for close to what you paid.

I was in your same position 3 years ago, and I still get excited about driving my Jeep every single day. (I have put 50k miles on mine in 3 years as a daily driver and camping rig, it now has 99k miles. Got it with 49k miles on it 3 years ago...muhahaha).
Old 09-20-2018, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

oooo that's nice , and its a 1994 !!! no airbags , we die like real men !!
Old 09-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Ccw

Originally Posted by jordan96xj

I think what frustrates most folks, is that in a 25 year old vehicle you are going to have electrical problems. Guaranteed. Many people just give up when it comes to electrical, instead of spending 1-2 months educating themselves on the use of a multimeter, test lamp, and the basic workings of circuits and 12 DC electronics.
).

Not looking to get talked out of it, just trying to ease my concerns that I'm going to be in over my head. I'm willing to educate myself, but what you just said about the electronics went completely over my head. But that's OK, I can learn.

The interior and engine bay look great too.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

That's a nice looking XJ for a great price.

Have a knowledgeable friend come with you and look for some the biggest concerns with these - rusted out floors or frame components, fluid condition (beware of brand new changed fluids), etc.

My Dad had a 94 and got 400k original (meaning the original engine, transmission and transfer case) miles and all three of those components were still fully functional when he retired it due to excessive rust.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Also you won't be in over your head. If/when you run into trouble or have any questions about things, just pop on here and you'll find plenty of folks willing to help out.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I-6

If you want in, I'd go for it ! Looks clean. Read the sections on here, what to look for when buying. Number one,,, buy a FSM manual !!! You will be much better off diving in, even if it's over your head ! You'll soon see why they say, " It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand ? " and you SHOULD know this one in advance, Jeep ,,, acronym,,, just, empty, every, pocket ! It's only fair that I told you that one in advance ! Welcome to our world !!!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:20 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Actually jeep parts are pretty cheap when you compare them to vehicles like the Ford Explorer or Chevy Tahoe, just to name a couple. Your jeep won't have expensive parts like airbags are ABS brakes either. No chip key or security system to screw up and not let you drive it. The electronics are just for the engine, transmission, and fuel injection, not integrated into body controls and stuff. To get an overall picture of the jeep, a Haynes Repair Manual is a good investment. Then a Factory Service Manual will get you into all the complicated stuff. That 4.0 straight 6 is one of the best engines there is as far a longevity is concerned and it pulls like a tractor, low speed torque! It doesn't make any more torque over 3000 rpm, so there's not much point in twisting it higher. Likewise the AW4 automatic transmission is a lot stronger than the 42re used in the Grand Cherokees.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

You want expensive parts, get a Land Rover!

You'll have fun with the Jeep. That's a good price compared to what I see around here (and ours are not in as good of condition here). Weakest part is probably the rear end pinion bearings, but that's easy to get fixed if it hasn't already. At least 94's have side impact beams in the doors. Mine doesn't even have THAT!!

I think if I were stepping into the Jeep world with the intended purposes you stated, My first recommendation would be to drive and consider first a 2003-04 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited or Overland with a V8. They're just SO much better engineered, comfortable and have all the safety features, plus OBDII. The seating is better, fewer rattles, heat/AC work better, they go down the road nice. The V8 has a crapload of power w/o much of a mileage penalty compared to the 6. Sure, they have more electronics but not that complicated, pretty robust and fairly easy to work on. Other than a few usual (simple) emission sensors I've never had 'tough' electrical issues with ours. They still have straight front axle and plenty of ground clearance. I've got 210k on an WJ Overland. The HVAC blend doors are a common headache on them. They're fairly cheap now and you get a heck of a lot of vehicle for the $$. My second recommendation would be a ZJ 8 or 6. These are fun vehicles and you can get them dirt cheap. Quieter than an XJ, very simple and similar to an XJ but more refined, most have airbags and I think they drive better. I like the interior seating position and ergonomics of the ZJ probably best of all 3 I mentioned. They kind of have an off-road look and they can get you where you want to go! I'd look for one with OBDII. XJ's are good, but pretty spartan. They're extremely lightweight vehicles, almost like an overgrown go-cart! I plow snow with mine. Works great for that! So now you have some thinking to do. You can't go wrong with any of the options out there. FYI, I own XJ's, ZJ's and WJ's.

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 09-21-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001

buy it and have a great time driving and making it yours !
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Ccw

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the feedback. I know there's such a strong jeep community both locally and online, I'm feeling good about it. But the first xjs owner stopped responding, so I've moved on to a 92 Laredo, 209k miles. Sounds like it has the beginnings of death wobble, but that's just a way to get him down in price, right? Starts at 50-55 mph and goes away at slightly faster speeds, or something. I'll still have my current cars still so I won't be stuck once I take the front suspension apart and can't put it back together

Interior and engine bay look great on this xj too. Trying to buy it TOMORROW any particular issues with 92s I need to be on the lookout for?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:09 PM
Ccw

Also to the guy suggesting a grand Cherokee, I looked at the listings and there aren't any around here in my price range (under 1500) thanks though, maybe my next jeep purchase if I catch the jeep flu
Old 09-21-2018, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

Both look good. If the first looks as clean underneath as it does on top, and runs as good as it looks, id buy it. Those miles are nothing to the 4.0L. Thats barely broken in. As long as it was maintained regularly, and properly, its worth what theyre asking. Which transfer cases do they have? I prefer the 242 myself. You can stick it in full time 4wd and keep it there all year. It has part time capability if you need it. The 231 is part time only, which can only be used under certain driving conditions.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

Personally, I like 96+ XJs because the benefits of OBD2 diagnostic data. I've grown quite fond of the late year 96, because it has many of the under hood improvements of the 97, but retains some of the electrical simplicity of the 95s and below. But many people have 95s and older and love them.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Ccw
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the feedback. I know there's such a strong jeep community both locally and online, I'm feeling good about it. But the first xjs owner stopped responding, so I've moved on to a 92 Laredo, 209k miles. Sounds like it has the beginnings of death wobble, but that's just a way to get him down in price, right? Starts at 50-55 mph and goes away at slightly faster speeds, or something. I'll still have my current cars still so I won't be stuck once I take the front suspension apart and can't put it back together

Interior and engine bay look great on this xj too. Trying to buy it TOMORROW any particular issues with 92s I need to be on the lookout for?

Not sure how much lower you can go as the seller without getting giving it away..1200 is dirt cheap. That jeep would bring 3000 in my area

Quick Reply: About to buy an old XJ