Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Kicker component speaker went under water

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Kicker component speaker went under water

One of my door speakers was under muddy water for about an hour, what should i do? Its $160 for two speakers I really dont want to replace it...
Old 08-27-2012, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

First off, why would you waste that kind of money on Kicker.

Second, buy some boat speakers. They are water resistant.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Let the speaker dry out for a week. Don't give it any power until its dry.

Start by removing the components that got wet and sticking them in a big bag of white rice. The rice will suck moisture, then lay them out in the sun for a while.

As for Diesel's comment, boat speakers wouldn't make any difference here. A submerged boat speaker isn't any different than a submerged car speaker. The difference in a boat speaker is that the connections are all stainless to prevent corrossion from excess moisture that is often found in a marine environment. A marine speaker is not "waterproof".
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Thanks, and because i can turn my music all the way up with it being crystal clear. Awesome highs and mids while my subs hits the lows. I just pulled off my door pannel and it was all muddy so i sprayed it real good with a hose so now i think im goin to pull it off and put it in a bag of rice.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by zimdogg
Let the speaker dry out for a week. Don't give it any power until its dry.

Start by removing the components that got wet and sticking them in a big bag of white rice. The rice will suck moisture, then lay them out in the sun for a while.

As for Diesel's comment, boat speakers wouldn't make any difference here. A submerged boat speaker isn't any different than a submerged car speaker. The difference in a boat speaker is that the connections are all stainless to prevent corrossion from excess moisture that is often found in a marine environment. A marine speaker is not "waterproof".
Oh, we have a genius. Please explain to me how mylar/polypropylene would not be superior in aquatic applications vs your average consumer speakers bakelized weaving?

MECP

Originally Posted by 125temple
Thanks, and because i can turn my music all the way up with it being crystal clear. Awesome highs and mids while my subs hits the lows. I just pulled off my door pannel and it was all muddy so i sprayed it real good with a hose so now i think im goin to pull it off and put it in a bag of rice.
You can find superior components for the same price or less. Such as Digital Designs, RE, Sundown, Cadence, AA, etc etc

Better frequency response, SPL/SQL, and lifetime warranties.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM

I am bias twords kenwood and kicker. I won't buy anything else when it comes to car audio. I have had nothing but good luck with them.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 AM
CF Veteran

That is your choice and its good you have a personal preference. Out of those two, I would personally prefer Kenwood.

But boat speakers would give you an edge in an environment with water present.

I remember back in the late 90's KC released 100% waterproof speakers that you were able to mount on your roof rack next to your KC lights or inside on the pillars. Try searching around for a pair of those.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Boat speakers (or outdoor speakers) are waterproof. And would survive a dunking. But I wouldn't have them under power. While they where getting wet. For fear of shorting out the amp or head unit. Our pontoon boat has a nice set of boat speakers in it. And it sits docked (uncovered) All season long. (Spring to fall) when not in use. No problems! Exactly what they where designed for. JMO!