Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep sitting lower back right rear.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeep sitting lower back right rear.

1989 XJ 4.0 auto 4x4 102,000.

Well every time I think I can move on to other things something else pops up that I notice or needs addressing.

My back right is setting lower that my back left by about 1/2 to 3/4". And now it's bugging me.

This jeep did a lot of setting in it's life and almost no carrying heavy stuff in the back. The leafs seems to look about the same on both sides but really that hards to judge by eye. Could it be worn out shocks?Those do look old.

I am wanting to do a 2 inch lift at some point anyway but my radiator is leaking, my rims are old, corroded and leaking, and I need new tires. (There's other things but those 3 are immediate) So buying a leaf pack right now feels like money I just don't have.

What about an S10 pack from a JY and build a 2inch lift pack if that is my problem?

Just get my radiator fixed, new rims, new tires and come back to that in a few months and try not to let it bother me.

Dang, I guess I'm just venting here.
What is everybodies thoughts?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:14 PM

Ok, do they even sale a 2 inch lift kit that comes with 1. Coils or spacers
2. 2 inch leafs
3. Shocks

Or does anybody just make a 2 inch leaf pack for a cherokee. I can't seem to find it.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
This jeep did a lot of setting in it's life and almost no carrying heavy stuff in the back.
Age counts, too.

The leafs seems to look about the same on both sides but really that hards to judge by eye.

Yep. Time to get on a flat and level surface and do some careful measuring.

Could it be worn out shocks?
WEll, let's thinm about this. Shocks are not designed to carry weight. Their purpose is to dampen the oscillations of the springs when you hit a bump. But most people are confused on this because unscrupulous companies (some with Big Names) do sell air shocks which they advertise for handing extra weight. This is a really bad idea. They prey on the ignorance of the general population. But back to your situation. Since shocks are not designed to carry weight, a failed shock should not reduce your weight carrying ability, right?

So, if your shocks are worn out, they shouldn't make any difference to your ride height.... unless..... Unless one of them is hanging up and not compressing as far as it should.

So, this might be one of those places where it makes sense to fire the parts cannon. If the shocks are shot anyway, replacing them is a good idea, and if it happens to fix your problem, it's a double win.

You could just take them off to compare one against the other, but with the labor involved, it probably makes more sense just to replace them.

On the other hand, if you are going for that 2" lift, just do that and replace all 4 shocks and springs and be done with this issue.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Gas-loaded shocks do make it sit slightly higher, but not so much that you'd notice right off. However, that being said, if the gas has leaked out of one, you would see a difference in ride height on that side.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:53 PM

Thank you, I guess it just feels good to talk about this with other Jeep guys.

I knew this about the shocks not carrying the weight but I did think that naybe if one wasn't working properly (not going in and out all the way or all the gas was gone) that naybe just maybe it could cause it to sit a little lower on one side. I know my current shocks need replacing.

It is not really noticable when you look at it from both sides or from the back but when checking it, it is a little lower on the right side.

Since it is not crazy sag. I am going to first off fix my radiator so I don't have to worry about overheating. Then get some tires and rims. I really need tires.

Then get shocks (for the back first) and see what that does. Then go on to do most likely an s10 bastard pack to get my 2 inch. Obviously not using my current leafs at all. Either find some good arched cherokee leafs to go with the s10 or some other good leafs. Just thinking out loud here....haha.

By the way I am going to start documenting everything I do to this Jeep and do a build thread at some point.

Last edited by Chick-N-Picker; 05-25-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Vehicles that have leaf springs that are fairly soft and flex a lot as a matter of normal driving, like the XJ have these problems. The leaves loose their temper over time and use. After you get it on good level ground and measure from the center of the hub on the axle to the bottom of the fender flare, let us know. You can build a bastard pack, but a full S10 pack will net you a 3.5" lift. That sounds like more than you are looking for. You can add a single leaf and get that 2" you want, but you will have to experiment to get it just right
Old 05-25-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Vehicles that have leaf springs that are fairly soft and flex a lot as a matter of normal driving, like the XJ have these problems. The leaves loose their temper over time and use. After you get it on good level ground and measure from the center of the hub on the axle to the bottom of the fender flare, let us know. You can build a bastard pack, but a full S10 pack will net you a 3.5" lift. That sounds like more than you are looking for. You can add a single leaf and get that 2" you want, but you will have to experiment to get it just right
Yes, I know the S10 full pack will be too much so I'd have to experimemt. What I meant was I'd use the S10 leaf(s) with other XJ leafs that weren't flat or another truck leafs. I don't think it would be any point in using the S10 leafs with any of my original leafs is if they are flat or am I wrong and the S10 leaf would bring the curve back?

Last edited by Chick-N-Picker; 05-25-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Yes, I know the S10 full pack will be too much so I'd have to experimemt. What I meant was I'd use the S10 leaf(s) with other XJ leafs that weren't flat or another truck leafs. I don't think it would be any point in using the S10 leafs with any of my original leafs is if they are flat or am I wrong and the S10 leaf would bring the curve back?

No, that is the point of a bastard pack, or add a leaf depending on how you look at it. Your current springs still have arch to them, just not as much as new. Likely you only need to add one leaf. I would try the main with the eyes cut off first. That will probably get what you want.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
I would try the main with the eyes cut off first. .
Man, that sounds brutal!