Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intake manifolds and headers. WHich are best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Intake manifolds and headers. WHich are best?

OK,..so I'm about to purchase a 99 Cherokee today. '99 Classic in Chili Pepper Red (love the matching bumpers in the red).

Anyway,..I understand a much better intake manifold was used in mid 1999 thru 2001. How do I tell which is which? Build date? Or can I tell by looking? If so,..what do I look for to tell?

And as to headers. I see some nice looking ones on Ebay, Summit etc. Anyone tried them and have a good one to recommend?

I see this these on Ebay that looks like it would be good after a trip to the ceramic coaters. Of course the first set are supposedly stainless steel.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...mZ270286782371

Says 1 5/8" primaries instead of the usual 1.5". I'm more interested in having the cylinders operate evenly,..smoothly and efficiently,...and aid in fuel mileage etc than absolute power,...1.5 mpg and 4-5 hp would be wonderfull. Is the 1.5" better for that and 1 5/8" better for those trying to make big hp? Or is 1 5/8" OK for regular driving?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:05 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

That second link is this header..just costs more..looks like someone bought some and is trying to make a profit... This one is also the one I have and love it..

http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts...old-15343.html
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
That second link is this header..just costs more..looks like someone bought some and is trying to make a profit... This one is also the one I have and love it..

http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts...old-15343.html
Wow! Only $130? What gives versus all the others out there for $300-$500 from Pacesetter, Edelbrock, Hedman, etc?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
Wow! Only $130? What gives versus all the others out there for $300-$500 from Pacesetter, Edelbrock, Hedman, etc?
The APN is a more traditional design then most. Uses 321 stainless steel with 1.5" tubes and a 2.25" outlet..I think banks for example uses 409 stainless steel whch I think is better but don't quote me..I have had a number of header brands throughout the years and this APN is solid construction..One thing to remember the APN is raw metal no finish, where most brands come either ceramic coated, painted, chromed or something. Plus it's a no name compared to a brand name..
Old 10-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
The APN is a more traditional design then most. Uses 321 stainless steel with 1.5" tubes and a 2.25" outlet..I think banks for example uses 409 stainless steel whch I think is better but don't quote me..I have had a number of header brands throughout the years and this APN is solid construction..One thing to remember the APN is raw metal no finish, where most brands come either ceramic coated, painted, chromed or something. Plus it's a no name compared to a brand name..
Great, thanks.

I just drove the Chili Pepper Red '99 Classic I was looking at. I made an offer and he's getting back to me. It was built in March '99,...and the intake manifold looks different than the pre-'99 ones I have seen pictures of,...so I think it has the newer/better manifold on it.

That header you have,..ceramic coated and a nice exhaust might be just the trick. What's a good quiet exhaust? A little louder han stock,..but not too loud? Just any 2.25 or 2.5" with a muffler? Or is there something special I should look for? I have a welder and made my own exhaust for my sports car,..so if something didn't fit perfectly,...it wouldn't be a problem.

The '99 needs tires and some body work,...(door lock was punched out by a theif on one side and big dent on the other,... as well as rust starting above the windshield).

It also needs front brakes and a few bushings it feels like.

It has the Comand Track transfer case. For my purposes I think the Selec Track would be better. Mostly would need the 4wd for heavy snow on the street here in Michigan. But the Comand Track will do. (I like the idea of the late '99 and Chili Pepper Red )

Based on my web reading over the last week or two,...it looks like the late '99 is the year to have. All the updates including the better intake manifold,..but still with the distributor,..(more mod friendly).

Hopefull I can join you guys in a few days an an XJ owner.

Stu.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

The 99's have a bigger intake manifold that added about 15 horse power plus to the 4.0L motor. However, the 99 also has increased emissions that caused the demand for the horse power increase. So the 99+ jeeps have about 193 HP instead of the usual 190. But a jeep without the increased emissions with the 99 intake manifold can see gains as much as 25 HP. Check out http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm for more info on the whole topic. I also wouldn't go removing all the emissions stuff to try and open up the power becuase it will probably start causing some unwanted warning lights among other side effects of tampering with it. But hey it's still a good jeep, can't wait to see what you have in store for it.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
The 99's have a bigger intake manifold that added about 15 horse power plus to the 4.0L motor. However, the 99 also has increased emissions that caused the demand for the horse power increase. So the 99+ jeeps have about 193 HP instead of the usual 190. But a jeep without the increased emissions with the 99 intake manifold can see gains as much as 25 HP. Check out http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm for more info on the whole topic. I also wouldn't go removing all the emissions stuff to try and open up the power becuase it will probably start causing some unwanted warning lights among other side effects of tampering with it. But hey it's still a good jeep, can't wait to see what you have in store for it.

Awsome link. Thanks.

I'm down for the coolant hose restrictor,..the PaceSetter headers,..making my own 2.25" exhaust from scratch,...swapping in an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and installing a later intake manifold.

I didn't buy the '99 yet,..he's getting back to me tomorrow. Going to look at a 2000 tomorrow. It's bright red,...has a new trans and transfer case with warranty. Best thing is it has the Selec Track. Being as I will be using the vehicle for street and snow,..and probably never offroading it (I know, I know,..a shame),....I think the Selec Track is the way to go for me.

But if that falls through,..I will be in the hunt for a '97 or '98 to do the above mods to.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 PM

If you have no plans fo offroading get the select trac IMHO the Command Trac is pointless if you never go offroad.simply because you can't use the tcase on pavement..