Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did the Cowl Intakes go?

Old 10-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7L Stroker
Default Where did the Cowl Intakes go?

Im not sure about everyone else, but it seems like in the last month or so, you cannot find/buy an XJ cowl intake. Spectre and THOR intakes seemed to have stopped listing their cowls for some odd reason. Also there is nothing to be found on the 3rd party websites like Quadratec and 4WheelParts. Only the safari snorkels seem to be purchasable. Can anyone explain this? Or direct my blind eyes to where I can purchase a cowl intake? Thanks CF
Old 10-02-2015, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I would email spectre and ask whats up,Thor is a small company they might have went under or the guy gave up.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I have been in contact with Spectre/K&N, They said they were going to have stock again until October, I just ordered one from CARID website, someone told me they had them in stock, they said they had them in stock, then I got a notice that said;
Upon processing your order, our manufacturing facility has informed us that the following item(s) are backordered with a new Estimated Ship Date as shown below:
New Estimated Ship Date: Nov 2nd, 2015
Reason: Manufacturing Delay (Build to order part)
Old 10-02-2015, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990

Do this: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my...-67919/index5/ Its Cheaper and works just as good, plus, there is a settling chamber(your airbox) for any water that may enter through the cowl and it is not crossing the engine.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:35 PM

No Thanks WyoCherokee, For one it has more of a chance sucking water in since that side of the cowl is open (the other side is not so that space has to fill up first), second I rather cross the motor in a smooth tube (which has been proven with infrared to catch nominal heat IF ANY) than use a corrugated tube that will disturb the air flow, as well as I have no interest in using the stock airbox which by no means is waterproof (neither at the top or the drain holes at the bottom) - I want either Spectre (1st choice) or the THOR setup (2nd Choice) or a Snorkel before I would choose that DIY system.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L Stroker

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
Do this: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my...-67919/index5/ Its Cheaper and works just as good, plus, there is a settling chamber(your airbox) for any water that may enter through the cowl and it is not crossing the engine.
Personally I would like to purchase one backed by a company and lots of others put trust into, rather than my own hands.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:46 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

Doesn't matter which one you put under that hood, unless your hood is majorly vented, its gonna get hot. Both of those homebrew designs have been field tested and used for years without negative effects. Dukie has been running his PVC one for over 5years now.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Lol, stock box not waterproof. Omg people are funny. My homebrew cowl intake on driver side been on several years now with cheap sperre tubing shoved into air box.

Hood deep through some muddy water. With hood vents, not a drop in the air box. To each his own if you don't want to run a home brew method, but don't try to bring down a field tested proven method. I'd rather my homebrew design over overpriced marketing any day IMHO
Old 10-02-2015, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

I ran Dukie's set up for 3 years now, I went into water 32" deep and nothing got into the stock air box.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:15 PM

Well here in the swamp lands of Florida, we see a lot of long stretches of deep water in a lot of places in the woods.

And OK, maybe if you take your time sealing the original air inlet and drain holes in a stock airbox it will stay water tight..... But running your Air intake to the Driver side cowl will have your engine sucking air directly where the water will be pouring in (not good in my opinion), Maybe it works for you, but I am not seeing it working for me. But I do agree it is better than no improvements at all.....

But all that does not matter anyways FOR ME, I need to get rid of my stock airbox to make room to move my battery to the drivers side, so I can install my YORK air compressor on the other side......

Last edited by bryweb; 10-02-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by bryweb
Well here in the swamp lands of Florida, we see a lot of long stretches of deep water in a lot of places in the woods.

And OK, maybe if you take your time sealing the original air inlet and drain holes in a stock airbox it will stay water tight..... But running your Air intake to the Driver side cowl will have your engine sucking air directly where the water will be pouring in (not good in my opinion), Maybe it works for you, but I am not seeing it working for me. But I do agree it is better than no improvements at all.....

But all that does not matter anyways FOR ME, I need to get rid of my stock airbox to make room to move my battery to the drivers side, so I can install my YORK air compressor on the other side......
You ain't got to tell me about the swamp. I'm down here in the Everglades. Lol
Old 10-02-2015, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

OP, honestly although they are ugly, a snorkel may be better option for you. I understand your views about long swamps. Yea, I did seal the factory inlet hole and screws on the bottom of the box. Top I did nothing. I feel not having the air box leaves the engine more vulnerable if the cowl snorkel does suck water up. Just curious, what are your views on snorkles
Old 10-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

I have the Spectre,,and all I have to say is the Dukie Intake way will work just as good as my shiny over priced ****. And yes I got it cause it was shiny and looked cool plus I didnt want to make one, I was lazy..

Now Im not going to say the Spec made me a submarine or its the best(the filters suck), but it has saved my butt a few times when the front of the jeep went into water too deep and I had to push water a little. plus I need it for some water crossing I have to up here in AK. But the Dukie Intake can and will do just as good if done right.. I went cowl cause I dont like the look of the snorkel, but Meh to each his own.

This thread here is talking about making your own Spectre or something like it. Some have been looking real good..
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/co...intake-213300/

Last edited by Dumajones; 10-03-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

On amazon. 3-5 weeks
Attached Thumbnails Where did the Cowl Intakes go?-image.jpg  
Old 10-03-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this work at all .... ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where did the Cowl Intakes go?